December Sail

Where you've been or where you'd like to go. Trip reports or thoughts on how to plan and prepare for a cruise. (A memorable or challenging Daysail totally counts).
Organized cruises events: use the Events forum.
General info on Cruising grounds are found in Fleets/Locations.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: December Sail

Postby Fly4rfun » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:13 pm

my camera( the fujifilm) is waterproof to 80 ft, but i don't want the other stuff to get wet or lost overboard
"Sail Aweigh" 1966 DS1 #2675
Fly4rfun

Postby tomodda » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:57 pm

I've never been able to take a photo worth looking at while I'm sailing... too busy sailing! That being said, there's a retired professional sailor who graces the waters around my area, his blog is worth checking out (on so many levels): http://logofspartina.blogspot.com/

I'll admit to being an Olympus fan-boy, been shooting with their cameras all my life, both film and digital. A few years back, I finally invested in their micro-four-thirds line of cameras and really love it. More than enough resolution, great color rendition, COMPACT and easy, customizable controls. The lenses are both good and reasonably priced, and I can use all my old Oly (Olympus) lenses, including the manual ones. My GAS issues tend mostly towards old East German glass - in other words, Carl Zeiss "knock-off" lenses (Note digression below), and those lenses fit as well. Their .OLF raw file format works perfectly well in any modern post-processing software, so you can go crazy if you want to :).

OK, now that I'm done shilling for Olympus, I'll also say that I like the Canon Powershot G-series very much. Again, great image quality, easy controls. Get one a few generations old and you save some nice money. It's a great "stick in your pocket" point and shoot. To my surprise, the Google Pixel smartphones come with a good camera, up to the level of a better point-and-shoot, IMHO. Fixed 28mm/F1.8 lens (I think), but good for general purposes. None of this is waterproof of course. For that, there's always the Oly Tough Camera. Also, there are several "splash-proof" Micro Four Thirds cameras from both Olympus (I have one, naturlich) and Panasonic. They won't swim but won't be hurt by spray or being dropped in the bilges either. Ooops! I'm shilling for Oly again.... Fine, OK.... I have a Canon 7 (old rangefinder) that I also enjoy shooting with.. never got a "TOP 10" image out of it, but I enjoy the process, after all, it's about making ME happy :)

Here's a proposal for you guys - let's post some favorite maritime images over in the "Miscellaneous" Section of this forum, I'll start a thread. GL please shut it down if it consumes too much forum storage space. I'm thinking of posting one or two water-related images that I made, something worth showing, just for fun. You all do the same. What do you think?

Tom

Note re. Zeiss: They were founded in Jena, Thuringia. Which was swallowed into the DDR (East Germany) after the war. Whoever could get out, did. But the old factory and old equipment stayed in Jena, along with many of the engineers. So the old factory began producing "Jena" lenses, which are - for the most part - excellent and cheap. Manual, of course, but who cares if you're not shooting birds, sports, or children? And some of the Zeiss technology + know-how even got "exported East - to the USSR. Soviet Helios lenses are even cheaper, and great fun (little quirks like actually having to manually stop the lenses down with a diaphragm ring). Are any of these lenses my "go-to" everyday? Hell no. But for $40-$75, why not? Great portrait lenses!
tomodda

Postby Fly4rfun » Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:05 pm

Tom,

Like your idea, bit alas, since i am new at sailing, i don't have any photos on the water, but do have some of the water, reflections, ect. but no boats in them. I started with a Argus C3, then a Nikormat, in 68, got into Canon from there, a A-1 and have been there since, resisted Digital for as long as i could,(loved doing my own processing) but once i did i loved it. glad i was brought up on film as i learned to see and plan the shot, which transferred to digital. most my photos are not processed with any editor other than cropping. would enjoy seeing other works, who knows might get inspired again.
G
Fly4rfun

Postby tomodda » Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:31 pm

Well, that's why I proposed sharing "Maritime" photos, basically anything with water. Unless you are Beken of Cowes, most sailing shots are "just boats." Things, rather than images.

And I think darkroom experience is essential for digital photography. All the old skills apply, dodging, burning, exposure strips, Zone System, etc. Not that I was ever any good at it! Great to be able to make your mistakes then instantly undo in computer :)
tomodda

Postby GreenLake » Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:56 pm

I had thought that a thread on selected photos could be nice. Good idea, Tom. Please reduce pixel dimensions for easy viewing and use reasonable JPG compression values so this plays well with the forum viewing and platform storage. I may have some to contribute as well.

(I frequently sail in moderate conditions and that allows me to take photos even single handed. Some of which I even like as pictures - not simply as records of where I've been).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Fly4rfun » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:51 pm

first time in the darkroom was in 68 when I was stationed in Yongsan Korea, went to the rec center, they had a few darkrooms there, stayed in for about 6 hrs was hooked, still have some of the photos i printed there. I do have some water shots but as i said no boats. most my photos are for my own pleasure. family do have some of the ones they have liked. Tom i posted a couple of water photos where you suggested. GL feel free to rename, relocate where needed
Fly4rfun

Previous

Return to Cruising and Daysailing