Glorious sunset by myself today

Where you've been or where you'd like to go. Trip reports or thoughts on how to plan and prepare for a cruise. (A memorable or challenging Daysail totally counts).
Organized cruises events: use the Events forum.
General info on Cruising grounds are found in Fleets/Locations.

Moderator: GreenLake

Glorious sunset by myself today

Postby zeroready » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:41 am

10 kts or so of steady breeze, 78 degrees, middle of December. No kids, no cares, just sailing into the sunset.

zeroready

Re: Glorious sunset by myself today

Postby tomodda » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:38 am

Beautiful! And I'm jeaulous... My local waters have just hit 49F temp, so my season's over. Where are you sailing?

And now for the inevitable "serpents in paradise" question, how's your headstay tension? From the photo, looks like the gap between your downhaul line and the forestay widens as you go up. Could just be the angle of the photo, but it should narrow as they meet at the jib head. My general rule of thumb is that you need to tighten your stays till you can strum a low note on them - twaaaang. There's better ways to tune your standing rigging, but that's a start. Anyway, except in very light winds, headsail sag is a speed-destroyer - the draft of your jib comes too far forward, and at extremes the entire luff will stall. My gut feeling, purely based on this wonderful photo, is give your side stay turnbuckles two more turns each.

But, as you wrote, beautiful day, no kids, no cares.... let the serpents in paradise go sun themselves!
tomodda

Re: Glorious sunset by myself today

Postby GreenLake » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:32 pm

(Moderator action: I've split this discussion as it was turning into a rigging discussion; look under Rigging. Feel free to pick up the thread here with discussing the cruising grounds. What makes them special?)
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Cruising and Daysailing