Water in the bilges

Moderator: GreenLake

Water in the bilges

Postby jtorrance » Sun May 26, 2013 2:21 am

I have to pump water out of the bilges every morning before I sail. I pop the circular covers in the floorboard do my daysailer11 and pump with a bailer. Where is this water coming from and how can I find the leak and fix it?
jtorrance

Re: Water in the bilges

Postby Thomasjbrothersjr » Sun May 26, 2013 9:15 am

It sounds like your boat is on a mooring or tied to a dock correct?

I am having this very problem with the KALEIGH B except it is rainwater getting into the bilge. After talking to a few people I first should check the 30 year old inspection ports. I recently had another inspection port put in professionally and don't think it could be that one though. Is there a away you folks think rainwater can get in through the cockpit drain?

One way you could check your boat would be to have it out of water, fill up the bilge and watch for where the water seeps from.

Tbone
"It's not the towering sail, but the unseen wind that moves the ship"

1983 O'Day Daysailer II "KALEIGH B"
Thomasjbrothersjr

Postby jtorrance » Sun May 26, 2013 1:11 pm

Thanks for the speedy response. The inspection ports sounds like the place to look. Good luck with your bilges, too, and thanks again.
jtorrance

Postby Moose » Tue May 28, 2013 7:55 am

Check the inspection port O-ring and their seal to the deck. Use silicone or another marine grade sealant to hold them against the deck. The ports are $12-14 each if they have to be replaced.

Also, if it's not rain water check out your centerboard bolt. Generally, the DS2 should have a rubber washer against the trunk and a fender washer (larger outside diameter than a plain washer) outside of that to snug it up against the trunk. the washer should be in good shape, not dried or cracked, a light coat of grease or Vaseline will help keep them soft over the years. Don't tighten the bolt so much that the rubber washer squeezes out from the washers either, snug is enough.

If your area is particularly rough there might also be water getting in through where the centerboard control cables pass through the hull. Many people seal these with flanged pipe fittings.
Moose

Postby jeadstx » Tue May 28, 2013 2:23 pm

I had water coming in thru the inspection ports when I first bought my DS2. The bilge was filling with water everytime there was a heavy rain, and this was while on the trailer in my back yard. As I recall, all I did was clean the screw threads and check the 'O'-ring seals. That stopped the leakage.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Return to Seamanship and boat handling