anchor

Moderator: GreenLake

anchor

Postby mcqmga » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:49 pm

Guys, I am recent purchaser DS 1 - Where or how is anchor used and stored ? Is it an individual preference or is there a "designed" prodedure for use and storage ?
Bob
mcqmga

Re: anchor

Postby GreenLake » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:46 pm

Bob,

Your boat should have a lipped fairlead to starboard of the forestay. This is to be used with the horn cleat that should be on the middle of the foredeck. A typical anchor would be a "Danforth" or similar, something that folds flat for storage. A 9# would be a good size, even though the official recommendation only goes to 5#.

Usually you'd also put a bit of chain on the anchor, that helps make sure the pull is more horizontal, and by its weight adds to the holding power. If you are anchoring for a picnic (using he anchor as "lunch hook") or using the anchor as security after you've beached your boat you may get away with less. In any case, on the boat side, the anchor rode would typically be rope. There are various recommended ratios between length of rode and depth. How critical this is depends on how much wind & current you expect, how long you will be at anchor and whether you will be able to watch and rescue your boat should it drag anchor. For lunch hook use, 4:1 might be enough ?, for peace of mind 7:1 ?. You'll find lots of recommendations online.

Make sure you really "set" your anchor, by motoring backwards, or drifting into it with some speed. I have rescued someone else's boat, where the anchor had wrapped itself in the chain (possibly already when the anchor was deployed) and as wind and currents kicked up the boat was merrily dragging a useless (and not very heavy -- he used a 5# Danforth) across the Bay...

The bow eye is not a good place to connect an anchor. I have seen bow eyes snap without warning, the foredeck cleat will be more secure. (If in doubt or if you plan to be at anchor for extended periods, you might check the backing plate under the cleat, and if necessary reinforce things a bit).

You may have seen bigger boats carry their anchor at the front, that's not the way in a boat like a DS. You would stored it folded, in the cuddy, near the mast (where all heavy items should be stored).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby mcqmga » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:01 pm

Greenlake - Thanks for very detailed explanation ! The ratios (i.e. 4:1) is 4 ft of "line" per foot of water ?

Bob
mcqmga

Postby GreenLake » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:30 pm

The ratio is between the length of the anchor rode and the depth of the water + freeboard, if you want to be precise about it. (All three measured in the same unit, e.g. feet).

Obviously, achieving any specific ratio would require you to know both the length of the rode that you have paid out as well as the depth of your anchorage. But perhaps you have a "typical" situation where you sail and can adjust accordingly.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby curifin » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:44 am

Welcome, the DS 1 is a great boat, congrats! I keep the small danforth handy under the back deck. The premade small one from West Marine works fine. For a quick swim in a lake, a stern anchor set is quick and convenient. Longer and you should set it from the bow. There is a chock on the starboard side and you can cleat it off on the bow cleat in the middle. Don't leave it on the bow or you will be donating it to the lake gods on your next hard tack...... The lake gods already love me.
1970 DS1 "Denial"
1993 Beneteau First 210 "Dory"
curifin

Postby GreenLake » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:08 pm

Having an anchor ready to deploy off the stern allows you to use it as an "emergency brake". (But a simpler system for that is a paddle stuck down vertically).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Seamanship and boat handling