Mooring. Rudder off or on. CB up or down?

Moderator: GreenLake

Mooring. Rudder off or on. CB up or down?

Postby Tipster1 » Wed May 09, 2018 8:37 am

Last year was first season DS 2 stayed on mooring. It was a real pleasure, compared to tight slip in marina. Transferring from dinghy pretty easy. I left CB up and put rudder in cockpit or cuddy. Dealing with rudder is annoying. It's hard to fit in cockpit, and even harder to fit into cuddy.

Does anyone have experience mooring with rudder left on? I assume tiller would be tied off. I would need blade up, because of low tide. And anti fouling. Gut feeling is it's a bad idea.

How about the CB? I pull it all it all the way up and boat oscillates about 45 degrees off axis. There's plenty of room. Would letting it be down a little bit be better or superfluous? Would it dampen oscillation, allowing rudder to be left on with less strain?

:?:
Tipster1

Re: Mooring. Rudder off or on. CB up or down?

Postby Skippa » Wed May 09, 2018 7:29 pm

On my DSII I stow the rudder/tiller in the cuddy, Tiller folds back over the back side of the rudder and goes into the cuddy head first on the starboard side. No problem. I also keep the center board up, The boat sails around on the mooring but never had a problem with it.
Skippa

Postby Tipster1 » Thu May 10, 2018 6:36 am

thx - that's what I did last year. Just being lazy. :D
Tipster1

Postby GreenLake » Thu May 10, 2018 8:36 pm

Why risk damage to the rudder - any repairs will take more labor than you "saved" by being lazy :)
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Seamanship and boat handling