where to store and sail on CT shore

Moderator: GreenLake

where to store and sail on CT shore

Postby scotwing » Tue May 03, 2022 9:17 pm

I just moved to CT and am looking for a place to store my DS on a trailer and be able to launch and return off a ramp. Ideally the location would be between New Haven and Old Saybrook. Everywhere I've called they cater to large boats with slips and use Travel Lifts, I can't find anywhere with trailer parking near a ramp where I can leave the mast up. There's gotta be some DS boats out there.
I'd appreciate any clues on locations, thanks.
scotwing

Re: where to store and sail on CT shore

Postby tomodda » Wed May 04, 2022 10:46 pm

I hear you on the need, and unfortunately can't help you with local knowledge since I'm in North Cackalacky. However, if it's anything like around here in NC, prepare to pay thru the nose. My local lakeside marina wants something like $1600 to let me use their ramp and park my boat way out back of the sheds in the weeds and gravel...from Memorial Day to Labor Day. I can buy another Daysailer for that money and just sink it at the end of season, so no thanks.

Anyway, some practical advise instead of my usual moaning - check out your local dinghy fleets, where do the Thistle, Lightning (are there any left?), Flying Scott , etc fleets leave their boats? Same size boats as ours, much more active racing fleets, they gotta have somewhere where they hang out. Try the dinghy anarchy forums. Try just google and "uncovered storage"+"Marina", maybe with dinghy or Thistle thrown in. Try your local boat REPAIR yards as well, some of them have ramps (as opposed to lifts) and feel like making a few extra bucks on storage. Google Satellite view is your friend, I've unashamedly searched for ramps on it, you can find some hidden gems. I have never beach-launched, but may also be a possibility. Anyway, good luck!

Tom
tomodda

Re: where to store and sail on CT shore

Postby kermithermit » Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:25 pm

scotwing wrote:I just moved to CT and am looking for a place to store my DS on a trailer and be able to launch and return off a ramp. Ideally the location would be between New Haven and Old Saybrook. Everywhere I've called they cater to large boats with slips and use Travel Lifts, I can't find anywhere with trailer parking near a ramp where I can leave the mast up. There's gotta be some DS boats out there.
I'd appreciate any clues on locations, thanks.

Hey Scotwing,

I also just moved to the Connecticut Shoreline. I'm just outside New Haven myself and checked out the Branford River State Boat Launch(google maps: https://goo.gl/maps/6v9vTjHDeRc4Ugey9). Could be the ticket for what's you need. Full Disclaimer: I wasn't checking for powerlines that would clear the mast so this could all be for not.

Hope this helps.
kermithermit

Return to Fleets/Locations