Trying to organize a fleet on Long Island, NY

Moderator: GreenLake

Trying to organize a fleet on Long Island, NY

Postby shawn » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:47 am

Hello,

I would like to see if there is any interest for getting a fleet together on LI. There are millions of people in this concentrated area and I'm thinking it must be possible to get at least 5+ boats out on the weekend!! There are plenty of clubs around that might be glad to have another fleet on their roster. The Great South Bay is ideal for small boat sailing and has may clubs that cater to just that. I haven't approached any yet but I can/will once we find out where the most convenient location would be.
I have a DSII, #10542, that is rigged with Harkens and the related gear (boom vang, barber haulers, cunningham and spinnaker) but I'm no hotshot and am just looking for some family racing. My kids are approaching thier teens and I thought this would be a good social outlet as well to meet other like minded kids. Post up and let's see if we can revive the DS on LI .

Fair winds
Shawn
shawn

Postby jpclowes » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:57 am

Shawn
As a former Long Islander (now in Ohio) who has started a fleet, let me say I applaud your efforts. I have always been surprised that there isn't one there. I fell in love with the DS when I lived on LI, and "imported" my first one from there. If there is anything I can do to help let me know!
J .P. Clowes
Eastern Great Lakes Regional V.P.
DSI 14083
jpclowes

Postby shawn » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:18 am

JP

I agree, I don't think there are a shortage of DS's here, it's just that we aren't organized. In fact I know of a couple that are available should anyone have any interest. What did you find got you the best results when trying to get a fleet together?

Thanks again,
Shawn
shawn

Fleet on LI

Postby Bob Damon » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:34 am

Shawn, Thank you for your initiative in trying to get a fleet together up there. If you know of a few sailing clubs in the area, a good way to start is to post a notice on their bulletin boards looking for DS owners to get involved. Going to racing or general sailing events where other DS boats may come is also good. If you give me your address I have some old but current promotional flyers I can send you. Good Luck, Bob Damon
Bob Damon
Class Measurer

Postby shawn » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:12 am

Thanks Bob,

I sent you a message that has my address and phone #. We'll see what happens....

Shawn
shawn

Postby jpclowes » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:10 am

Shawn
Really we started very informally. I was racing with a PHRF fleet, and one day I showed up to race, and there was another guy there with a DS. We started talking and I called another guy I had met through a USCG Aux navigation class, and he got together with us. Seven years later we have nine boats in our fleet. I think the most successful thing we did was that we just focused on having fun, and keeping things informal. We started by getting together on Friday nights, and having a Pot Luck dinner after an hour or two of sailing. We're still getting together Fridays rain or shine (no sailing if it rains,) We try to get together about once a month or so in the winter too. I think personalities help too. We're all really easy to get along with, and we never forget that ultimately we are all out there to have a good time. We've also been very open about helping each other with problems, and what works best with boat setups etc. Honestly though, it has been my experience that, for the most part, those type of people are the ones that are attracted to the DS in the first place. :)
J .P. Clowes
Eastern Great Lakes Regional V.P.
DSI 14083
jpclowes

Webb Institute

Postby Peter McMinn » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:59 pm

My nephew is just finishing up his first year at Webb Institute, a naval architecture school on the Sound. I know they have lot's of young sailors who just might jump at the opportunity to get into a DS fleet.

http://www.webb-institute.edu/about_webb/

Peter
Peter McMinn

Postby shawn » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:39 pm

JP
I've had my DS for a number of years, after owning both larger and smaller sailboats, and I can really say I enjoy it more than the others for the reasons you mention. It is fun to sail and has all the attributes of other one designs without the high cost of grand prix racing. It seems that in some of the other classes it's more a race to see who can empty out their bank account the fastest. Who needs a $500 traveler just give me a few feet of line and a couple of bullet blocks. Isn't that why one designs were created, to make it a challenge of skill and not money. Plus I can tow it behind the 4 cyl and step the mast myself. But enough preaching to the choir...I do thank you for your insight.

Pete

It's funny you mention that, I was reintroduced to the DS in ME about 8 years ago and raced against a young kid who is now at WEBB. It has an intense curriculum and they do have a fleet of JY15's along with some other boats and windsurfers so I don't know how available they would be but if they did crew locally I'm sure any fleet would be happy to list them on their roster.

I've contacted some clubs in the area and I have found a couple of DSII's that are available. I'll keep plugging away as few things happen overnight.

Thank you,
Shawn
DS 10542
Leap Frog
shawn

Contact the DSA

Postby PDuckX » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:12 pm

You should contact Patrica Skeen with the DaySailer Association. She would have access to any members in your area that might be interested in forming a fleet. Her address and phone number are under the Day Sailer Association header at the top of this web site.
We had a small level of success here in Portland Oregon reviving our small fleet through her.

Good Luck
Andy - Former DaySailer Owner
PDuckX

Postby shawn » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:16 pm

Andy,

A good idea, as a member of the DS association I've been in contact with Pat and she is one that has encouraged me to revive a group with her notes included in the membership mailings. I can check with her for a current list of active/non active members in the area. Glad to hear you had such success with your fleet.

Thank you,
Shawn
shawn

OK, let's do it.

Postby Masur » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:04 am

Shawn, let's do it. We have a daysailer II in Montauk with good sails. I'll race you whenever you want. If we start racing, people will get jealous and join us.
Masur

Return to Fleets/Locations