looking for other local day sailers

Moderator: GreenLake

looking for other local day sailers

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 19, 1999 12:00 am

Hello!
Spring of '98, my wife and I bought a 1983 DS II from a careful second owner. We are fairly new sailers, but have availed ourselves to every sailing opportunity. We are in Raleigh, NC and were wondering if there is a fleet nearby (?). Also, we were hoping to take advantage of the the boats' alleged capabilities for sail-camping and weekend cruising. Does anyone know of a good place for this along the coast? Oh! Also, I've recently taken on "project" in the form of an Aqua Finn hull with porpoise sail. Only minor leaking, and just for fun and practice. Anyone heard of a "porpoise"? Any Aqua Finn owners who can answer some restoration questions?

Patrick Hitesman

Patrick Hitesman (rositani-at-hotmail.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 21, 1999 12:00 am

I have a DS III I sail occasionally on Lake Jordan off Vista Point - at this time of the year it is fine sailing and not too crowded. I do not think there is a fleet closeby - there might be some owners over in High Point but if they monitor this list they will let you know.
I have taken my DS III down to Oriental (more specifically Whortonsville) for day-sailing but not camping. However, it is, as you probably know, a superb area for sailing with generally predictable winds and lots of places to go, even in a day sailer.
John Wilson

john wilson (jwils-at-soc.duke.edu)

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 27, 1999 12:00 am

According to the Daysailer Association roster, the nearest fleet to you is Fleet 124, in High Point. E-mail me, and I'll give you more info.

WGB

Gene (wgbryant-at-flash.net)

Postby mjenkins » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:50 pm

am also new to sailing, but I putter around with the Carolina sailing club (CSC) http://www.carolinasailingclub.org/xoops/'
and last time I went out I sailed on a daysailer with a a person named Doug. It was an open race (coaching series...think no pressure), and we were the only daysailer. I am looking at a 69 daysailier and if all goes well, I may be also sailing one (basically, I am deciding between a daysailer and a thistle...very different boats). I would suggest hooking up with the CSC and Doug...and maybe you can get something going. If the weather holds they are having another coaching series race this Monday (Labor day...it is described on the Website).

I would be more inclined to by a daysailer if there was a local fleet, not because I want to race, I just want someone else to talk shop with!

Mike Jenkins
Chapel Hill
mjenkinsatgbi@hotmail.com
mjenkins

Postby shawn » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:05 pm

Mike,

Having owned both a Daysailer and a Thistle, I think I would go with the DS in your case. As a racing one design the Thistle is great but it's a 3 man boat and more of a handful to sail. The DS is much more comfortable with wide decks to hike on and an enclosed cuddy. I actually believe the DS is easier to get planing also due to it's very wide flat transom. The Thistle has some tumblehome and squats a little more in the water. Either way though they are both fun boats

Good Luck,
Shawn
DS 10542
shawn

Other Triangle Daysailer owners

Postby Sean McGuire » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:39 am

Hey Mike,

I bought a DS II earlier this year and have been very happy with my boat. A co-worker of mine also has a DS I. I don't think mine is quite class legal - non-standard rudder, etc. but since I just like knocking around in Jordan Lake and not "officially" racing, I don't care about it much.

So there are at least a couple of us in the Triangle area to chat and sail with. I don't know about starting a racing fleet, but an owners group could be fun.

Sean McGuire
1984 DS II "Iona"
Hillsborough, NC
Sean McGuire

Re: looking for other local day sailers

Postby SpeckledTrout » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:28 pm

This is an old thread but I'll add on... I'm Raleigh-based and bought a DSII (5668) last yr and have enjoyed it quite a bit on Falls Lake, Jordan Lake and periodic trips to Beaufort. I'm always glad to meet up w/ other DS owners in the area. Over past 25yrs, I've sailed or raced an eclectic mix of sailboats before this one and have many positives to say about the DSII; it's a great all-around boat. Regards, Andrew
Regards,
Andrew
DSII #5996
SpeckledTrout

Re: looking for other local day sailers

Postby GreenLake » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:04 pm

Andrew, welcome to the forum!

Feel free to start your own thread(s). Looking forward to hear more about your experiences and further plans.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Fleets/Locations