Gulf Sailing

Moderator: GreenLake

Gulf Sailing

Postby seandwyer » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:13 pm

Hey guys,

I'm planning to take the DS to Gulf Shores AL in June. Since this is my first salt water trip, and having never sailed in the Gulf, I'm checking off my list of essentials and looking for advice. Is anyone familiar with the Gulf, particularly in this area? I'm looking for everything from boat ramps, to safety tips, to different techniques I should start thinking about. I'd really like to be able to beach the boat occasionally but am not sure how the wave action might thwart my launching back out into the Gulf (obviously this may be different depending on weather). This is the first time I will need to be mindful of tides too, but I don't think that will be a big deal as long as I'm not out for 24 etc.

Any ideas, suggestions or advise is greatly appreciated.
Sean
DS1 - 3203
seandwyer

Gulf Sailing

Postby ChrisB » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:37 pm

Sean, here is my 2 cents worth. There are two ramps that I know of. One is on west route 180 near Ft. Morgan on the Mobile Bay side. There is also a ramp at the east end of Marina Road in Orange Beach. You will have to go thru Perdido Pass to use this one. You have enough vert. clearance under the bridge but bucking the tide flow through the inlet may be a problem. Most of the time the waves on the gulf are small but I would think launching a DS even through small surf would be quite a challenge. Bring LOTS of sunblock.
Chris B.
ChrisB

Return to Fleets/Locations