Fleet 24 now active again with a self-appointed commodore

Moderator: GreenLake

Fleet 24 now active again with a self-appointed commodore

Postby roundlites » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:45 pm

I am now an old land locked blue water sailor. Have sailed Long Island Sound, lower parts of the Chesapeake Bay and the James River, One time in Rio. Crewed the summer of 1986 on Schooner Norfolk Rover now called Freedom.

The DS is 1966 model is in great shape. Hull needs paint, bright work is rough. Sails look as they have not been out of the bag.

My interest is in working on my rigging skills and making it around the course, meeting folks and having fun. I have no interest in collecting trophies.

I now again declare Fleet 24 active and now with your contact I declare I am Commodore of Fleet 24 until convinced to surrender said nautical role. "har har mates of all DS Fleets"

Post announcement to all who show interest...

VR
dgb
roundlites

Re: Fleet 24 now active again with a self-appointed commodor

Postby GreenLake » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:18 pm

Congratulations to the successful coup!!

I hope you will find interested fellow DS sailors in your area.

Does Fleet 24 have a location? It may have been mentioned in some of the threads that you had cross-posted this, but I removed those posts and started a new thread for you, so you may want to add that info and let people know the preferred way to reach you.

PS: I'm sure there are some steps to officially join up a revived fleet, but I'm not the one to ask.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Lee Peterson » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:58 am

Hi, great to hear that we have another boat in the Cincinnati area. Congratulations on finding a good boat. Sean Dwyer is also from the area and has been searching for other Day Sailers. Please get in touch with him - I'll email him and let him know to check the forum. To be an active fleet in the DSA you need to have 3 DSA member boats so if you guys can find one more ... We don't have many active Fleets in the Western Great Lakes Region so getting Fleet 24 up and active again would be great. Please get in touch with me if you have any questions.

Lee Peterson
W. Great Lakes VP
Lee Peterson

Postby jpclowes » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:59 am

Welcome Roundlights!
I am in Columbus, and a member of Fleet 98. I'm also technically accross "the border" in the Eastern Great Lakes, where I am Regional V.P. Please let me know if there is anything we can do to help you! We have about 9 active DS sailors here, and the above mentioned Sean Dwyer has been an occasional visitor. We have a couple of really good DS sailors here, and several who have strong knowledge about rigging, fiberglass work, and lots of other important sailing related knowledge.

Let me know how I can help.
J .P. Clowes
Eastern Great Lakes Regional V.P.
DSI 14083
jpclowes

Postby Lee Peterson » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:21 am

Thanks J.P., I appreciate your offer to help the folks in Fleet 24.
Lee Peterson

Postby Cavofficer6 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:59 pm

Do I understand correctly, that this fleet will be located in or around Cincinnati?
DS#5700 - "The Daysteeler"
Cavofficer6

Postby seandwyer » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:30 pm

Yes, Cincinnati--that's the hope. If I had to guess we would call Cowan lake home but it's still early to worry about that. Cavofficer6--are you expressing interest? We need three, we might have two, and I believe I know of a few more DS's in the area.

Let us know
Sean
DS1 - 3203
seandwyer

Postby Cavofficer6 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:28 pm

I may be interested, depending on how the fleet ends up being organized and how much time it will require for me to be more than a member "in name only". I've always been disappointed, considering the kind of activity that the fleets on the east and west coasts boast, that here in Kentucky I don't have the opportunity to join a group of class boats. I tried to join a regatta at Lake Cumberland last year, but they didn't have any daysailers participating, so I was kindly told "no". Cincinnati is about an hour and 45 minutes from where I live. If I could join a fleet there and participate in events with others with the same boat, learning how to really sail and having some fun doing some informal/formal racing, maybe 4-8 times a year, then yeah - I think I'm interested.
Cavofficer6

Postby roundlites » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:22 am

Of course all paper work dotting and crossing Is and Ts will be as required. For right now the focus should be on helping each other with sorting our equipment and planning off season (winter) maintenance and repair activities.
A goal for next year is to participate in the parade of sail during Harborfest, Norfolk, Virginia in June 2014. Trailer to Willoughby Bay Thursday. Sail to Harbor front and raft up Friday and Saturday. Reservations made at the Marriott downtown. Sail and trailer home Sunday. Who will join us?
roundlites

Postby jpclowes » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:46 pm

All of you, of course, will be invited to our regatta usually held in June. If you are really ambitious, several of us will be sailing in a regatta at our neighbor club, Alum Creek Sailing Association, on Oct. 19 and 20th. It is at Alum Creek State Park, just north of Columbus. You can go to www.alumcreeksailing.com to find out more information, and to register, if you are interested. If any of you have questions about setting up your boats, don't hesitate to give us a shout.
J .P. Clowes
Eastern Great Lakes Regional V.P.
DSI 14083
jpclowes

Postby Cavofficer6 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:06 pm

roundlites; keep me up to speed with the administrative requirements for fleet membership, and what you think the event schedule will be. I'm still in the Army, so I need as much advance notice of what's going on as possible. I'm interested in the June Harborfest trip, even though I'm not the greatest sailor with my boat yet. I primarily sail on small reservoirs with off again-on again wind, and a LOT of tacking. I'm so busy with that, I haven't spent a whole lot of time learning to really tune my sails and the boat.
Cavofficer6

Postby billodusa » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:38 pm

Did Fleet 24 ever get off the ground?
I'm a fairly new DS2 owner from the south Dayton area.
I would definitely be interested in joining a fleet, whether its in Cincinnati or Columbus.
1973 DS2 # 6552
Dayton, OH
billodusa

Return to Fleets/Locations