Sailing around Northeast Florida

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: Sailing around Northeast Florida

Postby GreenLake » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:30 pm

Moderator comment: It's sometimes difficult to know what a comment refers to, esp. if it's not a reply to the immediately preceding post. You may be looking at the post you are replying to when you hit the button, but your reply will be added at the end, sometimes not even on the same page. It's happened to me before as well, both that I forgot to make the context clear and that I wasn't sure what context the reply by somebody else was intended for. Glad that nobody was offended - I like the way our forum has managed to stay away from that for so long.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Salty Dog » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:33 pm

I should have been more specific the farther away my post is from what I'm referring to.

Thanks
SD
Salty Dog

Postby TIM WEBB » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:51 pm

K.C. Walker wrote:That sounds like a lot of fun! Though, the 17 Hour drive (without a trailer) on I-95 might be a bit too much. Besides that, I might have trouble getting the boat out of a snowbank that time of year.

C'mon K.C. - you know you need a wintertime FL sailing vacation! Dig that boat out, hitch 'er up, and head for the little latitudes ... ;-P
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby TIM WEBB » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:57 pm

My basic rule of thumb is, unless I'm replying to the immediately last post, or just to the topic in general, I'll use that nifty quote button:
jeadstx wrote:Tim, I missed the part where DigitalMechanic said he didn't like roughing it. Was just trying to reinforce what you and ChrisB were saying about those two events.

John, no worries, as is being pointed out here, his comment was on a previous page.
Tim Webb
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby GreenLake » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:18 am

TIM WEBB wrote:My basic rule of thumb is, unless I'm replying to the immediately last post, or just to the topic in general, I'll use that nifty quote button:
jeadstx wrote:Tim, I missed the part where DigitalMechanic said he didn't like roughing it. Was just trying to reinforce what you and ChrisB were saying about those two events.

John, no worries, as is being pointed out here, his comment was on a previous page.

And we even do nested quotes.

And you can also refer people to older posts by giving a link (hint: you can get the link by copying the link from the little tiny icon before the byline).

The lost post is here: http://forum.daysailer.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=27808#p27808
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby DigitalMechanic » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:23 am

Sorry Salty Dog, I have heard that nomenclature used in a derogatory nature in that past. Thought it was a cynical comment... I really must have taken it out of context. Don't worry I have thick skin regardless. At this point, I am more worried about being misinterpreted by you than vice versa.

Tim, I will lookup the aforementioned locations tomorrow. I hosted my company party today, which was a real workload, so I am going to bed, lol. Promise I will check it out and get back to you soon.
DigitalMechanic

Postby Salty Dog » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:33 am

DM

I would not be derogatory to anyone on here. I usually feel like I'm the least intelligent person here. case in point, I thought I made that term up as a complement. :oops:

SD
Salty Dog

Postby DigitalMechanic » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:20 pm

No worries... My misunderstanding. I think maybe I was having a "New Guy Syndrome" moment ;)
DigitalMechanic

Postby DigitalMechanic » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:54 pm

OK, gonna throw this against the wall and see if it sticks: Jan 23rd. Splash at Riverfront Park Palatka, and depending on prevailing winds, go either upstream (east) for lunch at Gator Landing (Corky Bell's Seafood), or downstream (north) to Crystal Cove for same. Any takers? If wind and wx are agreeable, I might even get my two better halves (Ilse and Ella, wifey and daughterey) to join us! ;-P

So, it looks like the Corky Bells at Crystal Cove is closed. They just have the other location now? The chief commander has spoken. She said, granted weather conditions not being to cold (this is most likely 70's by Floridian blood), and contingent on finding a reliable baby sitter, she is down for the day trip. Our son is 5 years old and gets bored after about an hour on the boat. Also, my in-laws are coming one of those weekends in January, so I will check in with them to confirm. If they are destined for out house that weekend, then we would have to do it another weekend.
DigitalMechanic

Postby TIM WEBB » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:43 pm

I would not be surprised one bit if Corky's is closed. Haven't been there in many moons, but it still shows up on Google Maps. Maybe something else has taken it's place? Dunno about their other location. If there is nowhere in the area to go to for lunch, then we could just bring lunches aboard, and raft up in a protected cove or beach somewhere for lunch.

No worries on the date - that's flexible, but consider bringing your son: he might surprise you two ... ;-P
Tim Webb
TIM WEBB

Postby ChrisB » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:49 am

Tim,

This sounds great. I will put January 23rd on the calendar as a tentative date for the St. Johns River daysail. I'm flexible on the date also if DM's plans or the winter weather forces a slip.

Chris
Chris B.
ChrisB

Postby DigitalMechanic » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:14 am

Tim,

I may have misunderstood you, but I though you said there would be a Corky' Bells in either direction we sailed. I looked up the Crystal Cove Resort that you mentioned, and in one of the reviews from very recently, the person mentioned Corky Bells being closed at that location due to relocating to a larger building elsewhere. I am not sure about the Gator landing location. I presume it is open still?
DigitalMechanic

Postby TIM WEBB » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:32 am

ChrisB wrote:Tim,

This sounds great. I will put January 23rd on the calendar as a tentative date for the St. Johns River daysail. I'm flexible on the date also if DM's plans or the winter weather forces a slip.

Chris

Cool, hope you'll be able to make it Chris! We can be flexible on launch time as well, so you don't have to leave Grant at some ungodly early hour ... ;-P
Tim Webb
TIM WEBB

Postby DigitalMechanic » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:56 am

This is the current/open Corky Bell's location...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Corky+Bell's+Seafood+at+Gator+Landing/@29.6527738,-81.6142716,13.77z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x226b763357fffcfc

Looks like Riverfront Park on the same side (south) of the 17 bridge, and Corky's (Gator Landing Location) is about 2 miles to the east. Sounds like fun times and good eats :)
DigitalMechanic

Postby TIM WEBB » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:59 am

DigitalMechanic wrote:Tim,

I may have misunderstood you, but I though you said there would be a Corky' Bells in either direction we sailed. I looked up the Crystal Cove Resort that you mentioned, and in one of the reviews from very recently, the person mentioned Corky Bells being closed at that location due to relocating to a larger building elsewhere. I am not sure about the Gator landing location. I presume it is open still?

Well, as I said, I'm just going by what I see on Google Maps and Active Captain, and what was there when I was last there, which was a few years ago. I do know that Corky Bell's at Gator Landing was closed for renovations for a while, but that's been a few years as well. The most recent review on AC is from April of this year, so unless something has happened since then ... ?

Crystal Cove is more of a resort, with hotel, restaurant(s), marina, etc. I had forgotten that there is a ramp there as well, but dunno if it's public or private. The AC reviews are also fairly recent, and say it was/is also being renovated.

I'll give both places a call later on today and see what's what.
Tim Webb
TIM WEBB

PreviousNext

Return to Fleets/Locations