Sailing around Northeast Florida

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: Sailing around Northeast Florida

Postby TIM WEBB » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:08 am

DigitalMechanic wrote:This is the current/open Corky Bell's location...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Corky+Bell's+Seafood+at+Gator+Landing/@29.6527738,-81.6142716,13.77z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x226b763357fffcfc

Looks like Riverfront Park on the same side (south) of the 17 bridge, and Corky's (Gator Landing Location) is about 2 miles to the east. Sounds like fun times and good eats :)

Yup, that's it! AFAIK that's where they've been all along, but maybe they opened up then closed at CCR at some point?

Correct: Riverfront ramp is on River St./S. 3rd St., just SW of the west end of the 17 bridge. Really nice ramp facility, and where I launched TRW the very first time I sailed her!

I'm really looking forward to sailing that area again, and to some "good eats" too ... ;-P
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby DigitalMechanic » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:20 am

There is a Comfort Inn ($68 per night) on the other side of the bridge that looks like it has dock space for boats...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Quality+Inn+%26+Suites+Riverfront/@29.648037,-81.626366,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1s116888152!2e1!3e10!6s%2F%2Flh6.googleusercontent.com%2Fproxy%2Fue0Ne7ZOOGG61AIzM7UkVFst1vZ6v9ZzFcJijRFWjSlOGJo2yy4k6f3NpDo3p8JVY9zKpAHUdOLzG13kIfiiKfpFTInSDnw%3Dw203-h114!7i2048!8i1152!4m2!3m1!1s0x0000000000000000:0x48efaa615c747b68!6m1!1e1

Not sure if that dock it meant for that, it looks pretty high?

If our son does not come, we may head down Friday night and have an Adult evening. Do you know if the DS can get under that bridge? The only shot I have of it is too far away for me to tell. Crystal Cove might be an overnight option as well ($58 per night), sounds like there may be a few different things to do. I guess I have a little more research to do?

If we do this again in hotter weather... the dock side hotel would be perfect "break location" to pull back up to the hotel dock after being on the river, and take a dip in the pool to cool off and/or grab a drink.

Humm... Looks like Crystal Cove has a launch ramp as well...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Crystal+Cove+Riverfront+Resort/@29.6779169,-81.6531144,199m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x88e6651b6592b5b1:0x9195f95b8d85c2f5!6m1!1e1
DigitalMechanic

Postby ChrisB » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:33 am

According to the chart, the Palatka bridge has a vertical clearance of 65' so no problems there.
Chris B.
ChrisB

Postby DigitalMechanic » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:22 pm

Great! No bridge tender!

Tim, have you stayed/hung out at Crystal Cove? Seems like there are a few things to do, bar and music, etc.
DigitalMechanic

Postby TIM WEBB » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:02 pm

Yes, I have stayed there, but again, that was many years ago. BTRW (Before The Red Witch). Also, I think it had a different name back then, but I don't remember it. It wasn't much to write home about then, but I've been told that it now has a bit more "upscale, modern, resort-feel" to it.
Tim Webb
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby DigitalMechanic » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:39 pm

TIM WEBB wrote:Yes, I have stayed there, but again, that was many years ago. BTRW (Before The Red Witch). Also, I think it had a different name back then, but I don't remember it. It wasn't much to write home about then, but I've been told that it now has a bit more "upscale, modern, resort-feel" to it.

Could explain why it is only $58 per night, lol. Probably just a place with a dock to rest you head after a day on the water. So, at that price it probably draws a crowd just for that simple reason.
DigitalMechanic

Postby TIM WEBB » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:41 pm

More than likely it's the location that makes it only $58/night: Palatka ain't exactly South Beach! <grin>

Oh, and it was called The Moorings way back then, and apparently Corky Bell's did set up shop there briefly at some point, but ended up moving back to their current location and renovating. I'm down with either destination, again depending on wind direction ...
Tim Webb
TIM WEBB

Postby DigitalMechanic » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:11 pm

Yep. I know Palatka is no Disney World. Like I said, for $58... BYOB the night before in case of crappy music and entertainment... and make own entertainment if need be... then wake up on the river and do a little pre-game sunrise sailing. I figure you guys will be a few hours behind if driving up the morning of...

The endpoints for the proposed sailing area is roughly about 4 miles long. So, catching up at either ramp should be easy enough (20-30 minute sail max between Riverfront Park and Crystal cove). Well if the wind is what it should be ;)
DigitalMechanic

Postby DigitalMechanic » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:22 pm

Hopefully that area is not too constrained from breeze. I looked at Sailflow.com, and the wind there (Palatka) is 3mph right now. I know the wind is down in the evening usually around our parts. But the NAS JAX base (part of the St. Johns I sail on is 9mph right now). To be fair it is usually has the fastest wind speeds when I check. Something about that spot. If the wind is 10 mph on Orange park (I295) bridge just south of there, the wind is 15mph at NAS.

I am not sure, but I think you have to deduct wind speed from those figures as well, as our boats masts are much lower than the wind vanes taking those measurements?
DigitalMechanic

Postby TIM WEBB » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:39 pm

Any sailor worth their salt is ALWAYS ready to BYOB and make their own entertainment ... it's what we do on a regular basis! ;-P

Try not to overthink things too much: it's a daysail, in a fairly confined area, with lots of options, which can include but are not limited to: not launching at all, launching and not being able to go where you want to, going where you want to and not being able to get back to where you want to/when you want to, etc. etc. etc.

That first time I sailed TRW? Had everything from green water coming over the bows to a mouse running around the cockpit (until it bailed and took a swim!) to dead calm conditions coming back to the ramps. Anything can happen, but that's just part of the adventure!

One thing I never do is go sailing when there is some kind of time constraint: either I go, and say I'll be back when I get back, or I don't go. Wouldn't be fair to my wife and daughter to do otherwise. I either have a pass for the afternoon/day/weekend/week or I don't.

Winds can be fickle anywhere, and I pay wind forecasts very little attention. If you want to know what the wx is doing at a particular time in a particular area, just look at the one thing all seafarers have been looking at for a couple hundred years: the barometer. It will tell you more about what's about to happen than any other doohickey you might have at your disposal ...
Tim Webb
TIM WEBB

Postby DigitalMechanic » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:25 am

Winds can be fickle anywhere, and I pay wind forecasts very little attention.

I get ya. I was out the other weekend with my brother in law. Winds were 10-12mph with gusts 15ish. We were sailing across the river back and forth (Riverside to San Marco and back) and cruising at a nice speed with just the main sail. I looked over at him and said, "why have we not put up the jib, let's turn downwind and head down the river". So we did, and the wind suddenly died (for no reason) and we came to a dead stop. Then some big motor boat came right by us and created a nice wave pool, and we had no way to move or turn the boat to counter again the wake, lol. Was interesting. Once we got done sloshing around we waited about 10 more minutes... and then despite all our effort to not cut on the motor... on the motor went...

If I drive all the way down to Palatka, I am not going to immediately turn back around. I will be there for the day. If there is no wind, I will make sure I find a way to walk a little more crooked on land (BYOB), as to simulate the missing effect of being on the water ;)
DigitalMechanic

Postby jeadstx » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:39 pm

Sounds like you are planning a fun sailing trip. At least this time of the year it doesn't get too hot.

Over the years I've done more than one "bob & bake" in the hot Texas summer sun. It gets bad when you get knocked off course by a fish hitting your hull, of course that's relative when your not moving and the water looks like glass.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby TIM WEBB » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:08 pm

Soooo ... I put the Palatka trip out there to the WCTSS group, and there is a lot more interest than I expected! Looks like we might have quite the flotilla that day ... ?

Just think how much you could learn in one day from that many small boat sailors DM ... ;-P

Late Jan would probably not be a "bob 'n' bake" situation - prolly cooler, and anything from a dead calm to a blowin' like snot situation. Again, you need to be prepared for anything. If it looks really bad we'll call it and reschedule. If I go up there I would stay for the day as well, and make the best of whatever happens. Heck, I drove 3 hours (each way) for a daysail at Ft. Desoto a couple months ago, only to not even splash the boat due to thunderstorms. But boy did we have a really nice lunch at a really great seafood place with some really cool folks! Made the trip more than worth it ...
Tim Webb
TIM WEBB

Postby DigitalMechanic » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:10 pm

My boat is rigged to sail in ideal conditions. My main has reef points, but I have not rigged it to support the reefing. So super high winds would be "no bueno" for me at the moment. However, the wind report has indicated 15+ mph wind on the St. Johns I have been out in before. I sailed without a reef. But like previously mentioned the hight the measurements are taken at for the weather stations are probably much higher than the 25ft of mast and boat I have on the DS. I imagine if it said 15, my boat probably felt maybe 10 of it. Conversely I also lack a spinaker, so I may be really slow in very light wind.

Either which way, circumstances will not matter to me. It will be about enjoying the experience. I am sure I will find a way to cope. Whether it is sailing with the main only, or just flat out crawling along slow as a snail ;)

If it is too cold, I will have a hard time getting the family out there. But, worst case scenario... I may find other crew interested. The winter has been very mild thus far, so the odds are in our favor.
DigitalMechanic

Postby TIM WEBB » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:00 am

Good attitude DM!

Of course, prevailing conditions will dictate what goes down, but the point is to get out there and give it a go. I have no spinnaker either - TRW is not even rigged for one - but I've never found that to be a hindrance. The whisker pole gets me by just fine.

Rigging to support reefing is one of the easiest things you can do to (for?) your boat, and will save your a$$ many times over. When conditions warrant, you can reef the main and still fly the jib, keeping the boat balanced. I'll show you how TRW's reefing is rigged, and you can see if that will work for you.

Correct, true winds can often feel like more (or less) than what they actually are, depending on a myriad of factors ...

Weather odds? I never bet in favor ... ;-P
Tim Webb
TIM WEBB

PreviousNext

Return to Fleets/Locations