Individual "not in fleet" on DSA card clarification

Moderator: GreenLake

Individual "not in fleet" on DSA card clarification

Postby DigitalMechanic » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:18 am

So, random thought moment...

1. Either the clock on the server that hosts this forum does not recognize daylight savings time, or thinks I am in Bermuda.

2. When I registered for the DSA, I got a card that said I am part of "Fleet Indy/46". Is #46 the catchall "not part of a fleet" number, or is there some significance to the #46, as if maybe there used to be a fleet in my area but no longer is, but that fleet number was #46 back in the day when it was active, so i am assigned to it because I am not part of a fleet but was one near here at some time? If your not in a fleet, what does your DSA card indicate?
DigitalMechanic

Re: Individual "not in fleet" on DSA card clarification

Postby GreenLake » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:59 pm

Here's a recent copy of the list of active fleets
https://daysailer.org/resources/Documents/Fleets%20-%20Existing%20(1).xlsx

The link above may not be stable, you are supposed to be able to access it from the Fleets tab on the main http://daysailer.org site, but that links to a different version of the same file, which seems to have been removed.

Whatever, the information there clearly indicates that fleet 46 should be Jacksonville, FL.

If you are from that area, but not a member of the fleet, that could explain the designation.

PS: I don't know what the clock on this forum "thinks", but typically for forums, the time stamps reflect the time on the server, unless you go and set a different preference in the user profile.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby DigitalMechanic » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:13 pm

Interesting. So it looks as if there were 134 Fleets thought Daysailer history. Many not active now. One of them was in Jacksonville at one time. A little bit of history... Neat! Thanks GL!

I don't think there is any timezone setting in the user profile, but will check it out. If I had to guess, the clock on the server is probably not syncing up to a NTP server to recognize DST. You are correct, the timestamp in the forum must reflect the time on the server, as it has no other way to tell time ;)
DigitalMechanic

Postby GreenLake » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:03 pm

There absolutely is a timezone setting on the user profile and you can select DST or not. Whether it does anything, I can't promise, because I've not changed my profile settings wrt to time. I spend a good amount of time in different time zones anyway, so I would have to change the settings all the time... Instead, for this and other forums I just look at the main page and it usually tells you what the time is on the forum, so you can figure out how long ago a post was (in case that is ever of interest).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Fleets/Locations