1973 O'Day DS1

Moderator: GreenLake

1973 O'Day DS1

Postby rnlivingston » Mon May 02, 2011 8:39 am

I have an O'Day DS1 with hull number XDYD68721073. Base on this hull number, the boat was built in 1973. But based on the hull number idex, O'Day stopped building the DS 1 in 1972. I do not think it is a Cam-Am boat, since the sail number doesn't match up. Plus the setup in this boat does not match the Can-Am boats I've seen. Any ideas about the background on this boat?

Roger Livingston
rnlivingston

Postby GreenLake » Mon May 02, 2011 1:30 pm

According to the hull-number index, nobody manufactured a DS1 in 1973, but it also categorically states that Can-Am boats started with #6960.

One possibility is, always, that the index is incomplete. It would help to know what information it is based on.

The leading letters in the hull number should uniquely refer to the manufacturer. Unless CanAm took over all of ODay's boatbuilding activities I don't see how they would be able to use what looks like an ODay hull number.

But, I have to admit, I can merely speculate.

Have you added your boat to the spreadheet? And if so, have you identified which design details it has that differ from the Can Am boats?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

1973 DS1

Postby rnlivingston » Mon May 02, 2011 2:19 pm

The boat had been posted on the index by the previous owner. One interesting similarity to the Can-Am boat is the two door panel leading to the upper bow section was glassed in. But none of the fittings match. Of course, they could have been changed out over the years. On the one Cam-Am daysailer we have at our club there is no registration number I can find. Certainly, not on the transom like my boat. Thanks for commenting.

Roger
rnlivingston

Return to History