Unsure of boat age

Moderator: GreenLake

Unsure of boat age

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 30, 2002 4:29 pm

We recently purchased a Day Sailer I. It had been registered as a 1975 we're not sure this is correct. The plate under the cabin says, "Built by The O'Day Corporation, Fall River, MA. Hull #11866 Class# 2077. Because the Hull # is in the 11000 series we were thinking that it is more likely a Spindrift O'Day built around 1986 not 1975. The sail has no number but was made by Hanna, Inc in Costa Mesa, CA. Can anyone shed some light on this discrepancy for us? Thanks

Bonny & Doug Smith (bsds-at-attbi.com)

Postby Roger » Sat Nov 30, 2002 5:09 pm

1986 hulls bear numbers from 11596 to 11920. On the back of the transom is there a serial number that starts with XDYD then a series of numbers? The first four are the class numbers and the last four are the month and year of mfg. Hope that helps.
Roger

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 30, 2002 6:03 pm

Hi guys
I saw somewhere, I think it was on a link from this site, that the first number, the 11,000 one is the hull number that O'Day produced of all the various types of hulls, up to that point. (Rhodes 19, Daysailer, Javalin, etc) the second number is the one that matters for your sail, and for figuring when your boat was made. (My hull number is 10,000 something and my hull number is 1868.) My sail says 12375, because that is the number of my old boat, but when I get a new Mainsail (someday!) it will have the 1868 number. When I looked up the age of my boat, the 1868 number fit with the title information I had.
I hope this helps.

J.P. Clowes (jpclowes-at-hotmail.com)

Postby Bob Hunkins » Sun Dec 01, 2002 5:14 pm

for O'day boats, it's probably best to ignore the "hull number". "Class number" is more significant and should be the number on your sails if you have them. If not, that is the number you should use.
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 01, 2002 8:25 pm

Thank you, all, for your help. We searched the transom thoroughly and found no numbers. It may be that the boat had been painted a few times and the numbers may have been filled in with paint. Exactly, where should they appear? I read somewhere that they would be on the starboard side of the transom but we don't know exactly where to look. Thanks.

Bonny & Doug Smith (bsds-at-attbi.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 02, 2002 3:08 pm

Your boat was built in the early to mid 1960's, the 12 digit hull I.D numbers on the transom were not used until 1972 (actually 1973 model year). The "Hull" # on that plate is (as was mentioned) the total number of boats built by O'Day, the "Class" # is the number of Day Sailers built. In other words, you own the 11866th O'Day built and she was the 2077th Day Sailer built. So, 2077 is the number that will be used on the sail, and to determine age of the boat. My guess is that your boat is a 1964 or 1965.

Rod Johnson, "SUNBIRD" (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Return to History