Pump for Race Committee / Safety Boat?

Moderator: GreenLake

Pump for Race Committee / Safety Boat?

Postby CentralCoastSailor » Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:36 am

We're thinking about getting a pump for our RC boat to help out when we have a capsize on the race course. Does anyone have a suggestion for a pump to be used for that purpose. We have a 12v system on our RC boat (Whaler). Thanks, Charlie - Fleet 128 - Morro Bay, CA
CentralCoastSailor

Re: Pump for Race Committee / Safety Boat?

Postby GreenLake » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:15 pm

It strikes me that for capsize recovery your goal would be the highest flow rate you can handle given your electric system.

For example, this 4000GPH bilge pump would draw 15A.
https://www.fisheriessupply.com/johnson ... ilge-pumps

The same site also lists a 2200 GPH model for half the flow rate at half the current draw.

In principle, you could use other kinds of submersible pumps, but bilge pumps are convenient. Not only are they submersible by definition, they're designed for 12V systems. You might need to mount it to a base with a handle because the pump itself is normally mounted in the bilge, but here you'd want to be able to place it temporarily. A base would keep the pump upright and the hose and wiring can be lead up along the handle. You can even mount a float switch on the base, to shut off the pump before it runs dry.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:24 pm

PS: to put this into perspective. It's often said, nothing bails faster than a "panicked skipper with a 5 gal. bucket". If you can empty directly overboard, that might take 2 seconds to fill and empty a bucket, and not accounting for losses would give you 9000GPH max. But as soon as the water level is low enough that your bucket won't fill completely, or you have to work around obstructions, the actual rate would be lower. So a steady 4000GPH would be quite a reasonable flow rate by comparison. And you can bail without anyone having to be in the boat, making it less likely to be swamped in the initial stage.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby CentralCoastSailor » Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:33 pm

I can "attest" to flow rate with a 5 gal bucket. We dumped my fist DS in Port San Luis - water temp a balmy 55 degrees! Blowing like snot. We drifted to a mooring buoy and tied off. Being there was a single 5 gal bucket, my crew (who failed to uncleat the jib!!) sat on the cuddy top eating lunch while I bailed. The boat floated about 3"above water level (but it floated!). It took what seemed to be HOURS to bail it out. Good thing I was 35 years younger (maybe more) and it was just a fun story. It would be harder now! haha!
CentralCoastSailor

Postby GreenLake » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:19 pm

Thanks for sharing real world data. So, how did your plans evolve for your safety boat?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Miscellaneous