CB trunk and waterline?

Moderator: GreenLake

CB trunk and waterline?

Postby Mattyirie » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:43 pm

Hey daysailers,

About how far up from the base of the CB trunk does waterline extend to? I'm wanting to drill some holes in the trunk of my ospray and would like to know the safe distance from the base. Would it be about where the CB handle is mounted?

Thanks.
Mattyirie

Re: CB trunk and waterline?

Postby GreenLake » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:11 pm

Depends what you mean by waterline.

There's the static waterline when the boat is floating and then there's the dynamic waterlevel in the CB trunk when the boat is moving. Almost everybody sailing a DSII is familiar with the fact that though the CB control cables exit near the top of the CB trunk, absolutely prodigious amounts of water can squirt out of them if they are not properly sealed.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Mattyirie » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:04 pm

ah, thanks greenlake!

I was actually thinking about converting from a lever controlled to a pennant controlled CB for a few reasons but may decide against it if it is too wet. any tips or cautionary advice?
Mattyirie

Postby GreenLake » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:07 pm

Read the DSII only section on this forum to learn about massive problems with a pennant controlled CB setup . . .
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:09 pm

Mattyirie wrote:In deciding what to do about my centerboard, the DSII guys convinced me to keep the lever. I am wanting to install a keeper screw on the port side of the centerboard so the handle doesnt work itself loose (my handle is weird.) This means creating a port side hole in the cb trunk for screw access. You mentioned that the PO of your daysailer installed a similar hole, what is used for a plug to keep water out?

Here's the photo:

It's a simple rubber gasket plus washer.

Hope this helps. (Note, the gasket shown is the old, nearly dead one, before the replacement, so you don't need to go try to source one that looks as bad :) )
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Miscellaneous