Home made Tabernacle pins, whisker pole

Moderator: GreenLake

Home made Tabernacle pins, whisker pole

Postby Fly4rfun » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:52 pm

Today by the time i got going the wind had picked up.(10am gusting to 20 K ) so went to town for supplies for a project I needed to do. somehow i had misplaced my tabernacle pins, At Lowe's i found some 1/4 in 3.5 in SS bolts that had enough non threaded shaft to work as a pin, I drilled a small hole thru the shaft for the keeper to go. (i did this in a cross vise on my drill press) cut to length tapered the end and used my wheel bench buffer to smooth and polish the end,
IMG_2501.JPG
IMG_2501.JPG (136.24 KiB) Viewed 4652 times

my whisker pole had quit locking so i took it apart and fixed it'
the rubber eccentric end had come off its mount , so that was cleaned and put back together
1-IMG_2497.JPG
1-IMG_2497.JPG (21.75 KiB) Viewed 4652 times
notice the eccentric shape of the rubber and metal , this is what makes the locking mechanism work

1-IMG_2499.JPG
1-IMG_2499.JPG (21.7 KiB) Viewed 4652 times
side view . as you turn the tube the eccentric parts oppose each other and lock it in place.

not the best at explanation or demonstration.
"Sail Aweigh" 1966 DS1 #2675
Fly4rfun

Re: Home made Tabernacle pins, whisker pole

Postby GreenLake » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:18 pm

Glad you were able to fix your whisker pole and now I know how that works. Had been wondering. Thanks for the explanation.

Once you are sailing deep enough downwind for the jib to be blanketed by the main, in my experience you go faster if you sail dead downwind but with the job poled out so you are wing-on-wing.

Some boats go faster downwind if you gybe downwind, reaching back and forth and never going directly downwind. I've never seen that work out in a DS (in non-planing conditions). The only thing faster, would be to set a spinnaker, but using a whisker pole is so much easier and quicker to set up, it's perfect - particularly for sailing on smaller (or narrower) bodies of water where you may not have the luxury of a lengthy downwind run.

I can see you graduating to a spinnaker in a few seasons, though.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Fly4rfun » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:19 pm

I don't need encouragement to spend money :P glad I was able to return the info
Fly4rfun

Postby GreenLake » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:04 am

Seriously, if you're figuring out the DS on your own, then take it slow. You'll know when the time has come to take it up a notch, and perhaps you've made room in your budget, or figured out how to get a used sail, cheap. I lucked out and got a free one from a different boat, the fit the DS perfectly, built my own pole and spent probably around $75.00 altogether for blocks, lines, pole end fittings and the $5.00 plus tax for the bamboo.

Could have dropped $750.00 on that project with a new sail, and ready made pole (and more sophisticated hardware for routing and cleating the spinnaker sheets). Yeah, factor 10.

If you're still as keen on this boat in another season or two, we may hear from on that topic :)

Spinnakers have a bit of a learning curve because of the way you need multiple lines to control them. Once you get your mind wrapped around that, it becomes simple again. Some people prefer a code zero (think of it as large, lightwind jib) or asymmetric spinnaker which requires only one line to control it. However, to get the most out of it, you need light(er) winds and also create some sort of bowsprit so you can fly it on a furler ahead of the forestay. That's a dedicated investment, and even pricier.

If you are looking at excuses to spend money ...

What makes sense ultimately depends on where you sail, and what kind of sailing fits your style. I'm taking it that racing is not in your plans, so you don't have to worry about keeping to class rules. That would allow an asymmetric spinnaker, but if you don't mind the standard setup, it may be easier to get a used sail.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Fly4rfun » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:25 am

I've blown my budget for a while on some nice used sails and other goodies, I have always enjoyed sailing, love the quietness of it. (one of the reasons I try to take back roads on my motorcycle ventures.
I am creative and enjoy DIY projects, so that will save some. I got a gaggle of blocks and a cleat of ebay for 25.00 so have them to run with. but i agree i will need to get on bigger water to fly any type of spinnaker I'm not in a hurry, got some learning to do. When I told one of my friends I bought the boat , she said "well i have a life jacket. so have someone who will help crew.at the appropriate time.
Fly4rfun

Postby GreenLake » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:41 am

If you have crew, that makes it so much nicer. I like sharing the fun. Over the years I've taken over 100 people out on my DS - and that is not an estimate. Some were guests, but many have come back multiple times. Some turned into regular crew for a season, or several. And some will join me whenever schedules line up.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Fly4rfun » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:55 pm

My friend a little after I first met her , rode on the back of my motorcycle, for the rest of the season, i made the comment to her she might want to take a class so she would have some understanding about the bike. We met the last of April when I was in the hospital, from a near death illness, another story for another time, bu September she had taken her written and riding class. by February i helped her pick a beginners bike out, now she wont ride with me. so it's quite possible she might do the same with the sailboat, not buying one, but wanting to go sailing.
Fly4rfun

Postby GreenLake » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:59 pm

Not everybody manages what some friends of mine accomplished: they sailed together for nearly 30 years.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Fly4rfun » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:59 pm

that would be nice to have that much longevity, hopefully happy.
Fly4rfun

Return to Miscellaneous