log book

Moderator: GreenLake

log book

Postby Fly4rfun » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:23 am

Just wondering

as a student pilot and as i progressed i logged all flights in my log book, do I need to log sails, I wont be taking any long trips as longest lake is about 26 miles long. and at this time don't plan on getting near the ocean, what do you do?
"Sail Aweigh" 1966 DS1 #2675
Fly4rfun

Re: log book

Postby tomodda » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:28 am

In a word - Nah! That being said (written), what is logging good for? It's a learning tool, just like in your student pilot days. If it helps you, then do it. Successful sailboat racers log obsessively- every practice sail, every race.

We're not racing, but may I suggest some of the same practice techniques? Don't have to log them, just do some. One easy exercise , and constant source of amusement are Man Over Board (MOB) Drills. I usually use a seat cushion or an old hat - toss it over board, turn around and pick it up. Upwind, downwind, reaching, etc. Another simple, but useful exercise is to get yourself on a set course to a landmark (tree, building, flagpole, etc onshore), then lash your tiller (bungee it), and keep steering towards the mark using your sail balance and bodyweight. See how small changes affect your course, observe your leeway (how much you slide sideways). Both of these exercises will teach you a LOT about your boat and your skills. But there is plenty of fun to be had too. My little lake has a submerged tree in the middle, usually with herons perched on the branches. I'll spend an hour or so "sneaking up" on them. How close can I get before they fly off? Trick - approach from downwind, but don't splash too much.. . Anyway, if you want some more ideas:

https://sailzing.com/sailing-practice-techniques/

One of these days, when I'm down at the coast with steady winds, I intend to do some real logging. Set a course over a measured distance (between two buoys) and log what happens with various sail adjustments (time it). The intention being to really measure and record what works, what's my "first gear," "second gear," etc. I have an instinctive "feel" for what works now, but it would be nice to have some proof. If you're ever on a competitive race boat, you'll see every control, almost every rope, marked 1,2,3... etc. Those marks are part of a "recipe" for every condition... "Upwind, 10 koit wind, accelerating.. Use main halyard 5, Jib in haul 3, Traveller -2.." and so on. All from hours of practice and logging. So that's another use for logs, even for us non-racers. But you need a steady wind and a way to measure your speed. I'm in no hurry :)

Best,

Tom
tomodda

Postby GreenLake » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:47 pm

When I "graduated" from my Walker Bay 8 to this amazing new boat with a real wooden tiller, it just felt so much like a "ship" that I didn't hesitate and started to write down everything. I've kept that up, more or less in real time, for over 300 outings. With the advent of GPS, there are now tracks, and I've moved from paper notebooks to a collection of PDFs, so I can more easily add a photo or two. I do note maintenance items, both new issues discovered during an outing as well as those completed in between, but have given up tracking the expenses - after a few years I noticed that things tended to converge on an affordable average and left it at that.

Other than the fun of reliving a day on the water while writing the notes, I get two things from my logs. The first is just to know how often and for how long I've been using the boat for a season. The other is a reminder of all the friends, family and crew who joined me. On average, there's a new face every third trip, and it's fun to look over the list and reminisce.

I also include notes on times spent motoring and when I got my new electric paddle I was able to go back and find segments in earlier GPS tracks with my old trolling motor for comparison (the EP is a smidgen faster).

If it's fun, there's no reason to not keep a log. It can be a great way to capture what you think you understand, or to compile thoughts on local conditions for different weather regimens. Whatever works for you. Or you can forget the paperwork and just enjoy the fleeting moments on the water.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Fly4rfun » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:11 pm

Thanks guys,
unlike working towards your pilot license, which you have to have documented number of hrs with so many hrs doing certain milestones, ie dual cross country, solo cross country, long 3 leg cross country both dual and solo, i think i will use a notebook and note how my boat performs, once i get on a big enough lake to do that. i can look back as GL can and reminisce. I can do this with my log books, always put a anecdotal note in with each flight. even the bad ones,
Fly4rfun

Postby GreenLake » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:38 pm

One thing that I discovered is that there is some information that it's nice to not have to troll through all the logs. So I have one or two summary lists. One for all the people I've sailed with, and one for how many times (and hours) I had the boat out in a given season. After one year where I only managed to take the boat out 3 times, I set myself a goal to make sure that I would get on the water often enough to make it worthwhile to keep the boat. Later, I got curious to see how many hours I might have spent on this over the years. That estimate includes time spent sailing on other people's boats, something that I hadn't planned on initially, but that evolved over time. I don't keep a "log" for those times, but I do have a short list somewhere as a reminder.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Shagbark » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:14 pm

I have a log book from my skydiving days. I enjoy flipping back through it reminiscing about my jumps. If you log decently enough, there is enough detail to recall those times. For sailing, I 'log' my sails using Under Armour's "Map My Run". Its a runners ap that tracks your course but works for sailing just as well. In a way similar to my skydiving logs, its fun to review my sails in the ap.
Shagbark

Postby Fly4rfun » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:53 am

I agree, I still look at my log books and reminisce of the trips I've taken and who went with me,, since i don't fly any more. and you could not get me to jump out of a plane. believe it or not but I'm afraid of heights, planes don't bother me, but don't ask me to look over the edge of anything tall
Fly4rfun

Return to Miscellaneous