ds1 general id

Moderator: GreenLake

ds1 general id

Postby igotit » Fri May 28, 2021 6:49 pm

found this for cheap,no paperwork,no hin,no tag no info besides its a daysailor.
has floor and cornered off cuddy top,and large rear deck.....so i know its not vintage,probably not oday.
let me know your thoughts on its possible manufacture and era.
$250 boat and trailer bill of sale only but i need some kinda info to put on bill of sale.
already had wildlife n fish look it over,no hin or tag to be found.
nothing else is included besides whats pictured,trailer with new tires and bare hull only.
ive been searching google but havent come across exact brand yet.

ImageDs1 by Nick James, on Flickr
ImageDs1 by Nick James, on Flickr
igotit

Re: ds1 general id

Postby GreenLake » Fri May 28, 2021 6:58 pm

Check the Miscellaneous section here, that's where we relegate the off-brand boats and all discussion about them (this is where this post will go as well).

There was someone recently with an Annapolis Discoverer 18 that may be a match or the Sailstar Explorer (?).

I don't know any of these types of boats from direct experience but over the years they've come up in discussion or we have an owner who's asking questions where we can help because of the DS being roughly similar.

Good luck!

(PS: with these names, perhaps SailboatData or other sites will spit out images or drawings for you to compare).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby igotit » Fri May 28, 2021 7:23 pm

GreenLake wrote:Check the Miscellaneous section here, that's where we relegate the off-brand boats and all discussion about them (this is where this post will go as well).

There was someone recently with an Annapolis Discoverer 18 that may be a match or the Sailstar Explorer (?).

I don't know any of these types of boats from direct experience but over the years they've come up in discussion or we have an owner who's asking questions where we can help because of the DS being roughly similar.

Good luck!

(PS: with these names, perhaps SailboatData or other sites will spit out images or drawings for you to compare).

Thanx for that direction,forgot to add only other info total length bow to stern is 16ft 8in.i believe my ds1 is the same measurment.
(Edit) my ds1 is only 15'6" x 6'1"
Last edited by igotit on Fri May 28, 2021 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
igotit

Postby igotit » Fri May 28, 2021 7:48 pm

igotit

Postby GreenLake » Sat May 29, 2021 12:01 am

igotit wrote:i believe my ds1 is the same measurement.
(Edit) my ds1 is only 15'6" x 6'1"

Then you don't have a DS1. Should come to 16' 9" and 6 3".

Or did you wash yours too hot?

PS: if they are subject to shrinking, I'll have to measure mine :) -- just did, the 16'9" comes out fine (to get the straight line I measured along the mast between two points directly above bow and transom). The beam I get 6'1 1/2", most likely due to not getting the actual max beam location (sitting under a tarp right now). So, your 6' 1" may be imprecision, but unless you cut out a section that 15' looks a bit short.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby igotit » Sat May 29, 2021 12:33 am

:lol:
I done a quick rough measurment but im positive my ds1 is below 16ft in length.
I never measured before but read they are 16.9,so took that for granted.
igotit

Postby GreenLake » Sat May 29, 2021 1:30 am

So, you are missing about a foot of boat. Where did it go?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Sat May 29, 2021 1:34 am

I mean, I looked back at your pictures, and it doesn't look like somebody gave it a pram bow or something.

Just to confirm, you are measuring LOA (length over all) and not LWL (length of the waterline).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby igotit » Sat May 29, 2021 9:36 am

Ok
Everybody just calm down.
Ive re measured but thid time with a buddy.from transom to bow rubrail,im 16'7".
My mistake on first try,i used my outboard to hold the end of tape,as i was pulling tape out to the bow my outboard turned.....shortning my distance.
igotit

Postby GreenLake » Sat May 29, 2021 2:21 pm

Whew!!
Thanks for tracking this down.

No, there won't be a market for pre-washed DaySailers now, event though all of them (except the ones from CapeCod) are pre-rinsed.

Sanity restored, all around. :)
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby igotit » Sat May 29, 2021 5:30 pm

:lol:
I had a moment there for sure.didnt catch it till second time i measured.i turn my motor so that a lil clip is even with transom,hook tape on there and started stretching out and seen the motor turn lol.
igotit

Postby GreenLake » Mon May 31, 2021 8:48 pm

It's when the little things conspire against you :)
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby hsumralljr » Mon May 31, 2021 11:22 pm

Not a Day Sailer.
Herb Sumrall, Jr.
Baton Rouge, LA

DS1 #3235
DS1 #2844
hsumralljr

Postby watchman » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:35 pm

I think it's a Sailstar Explorer. I've owned two, as well as a Daysailer II before I bought my current Daysailer I.

If it has a well below the centerboard handle that extends 3 0r 4 inches below the false floor, I would say it's 90% likely.

The Sailstar was a close approximation of the original Daysailer, but beware.

The false floor is plywood wrapped in glass. It is almost certainly rotten. Anything you mount there will likely pull out if loaded.
Besides that, look at the transom - If it is flat across, and not curved, that would also indicate a Sailstar.

Don't get me wrong, they aren't bad boats. But be aware, they are heavier even before the plywood waterlogs. I managed to turtle mine by beating to weather solo in about 30 knots of breeze, having the time of my life until three out of the four screws mounting my mainsheet block pulled out just enough to prevent the block from turning, which prevented the sheet from running out freely. I ended up lying on the mainsail above the spreaders, with the mainsheet wrapped around my legs. By the time I could work myself free, the boat turtled. All because the plywood had rotted underneath the glass.

If all you want is a hull to motor for fishing, I wouldn't worry about it, but do check the transom. they are also glass wrapped plywood, and tend to rot out at deck level down to about the middle of the transom.
watchman

Postby marcusg » Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:06 pm

Yeah that's the same boat I'm working on to restore: Sailstar Explorer 17''. Mine had a garbage paint job that was all cracking, and my gelcoat is the exact same baby blue color as yours. Centerboard handle is the same as well. Does the ceiling of the cuddy also have a rippled/corrugated, bare-fiberglass texture under the paint? Looks like we even have the same trailer, too.

If you want to check out my thread where I'm repairing it, it's in:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6069&start=135&hilit=floor
marcusg

Return to Miscellaneous