Need help identifying a boat

Moderator: GreenLake

Need help identifying a boat

Postby AstroZJ » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:59 pm

Hey guys,

New to boat ownership and was gifted a "free 20ft+ sailboat in decent shape". I didn't have high hopes but Always have wanted a sailboat.

So here she is, I think from Google she is a day sailor but I'm not sure, ik she is a 1973 O'day javelin but that's about it. Owners knew nothing about her they got her 6 years ago from a passed relative. She was in the water in 08 or at lest registered then. Seems they left her sail on the mast out in the weather so I'm sure I'll need a new one, there's a small sail in a bag they gave me, but haven't even begun to research how to sail yet so I'm just guessing it's the front sail. Thanks everyone! The included pictures have another friends sailboat in the back so just ignore it!
Attachments
20210620_150716.jpg
20210620_150716.jpg (114.33 KiB) Viewed 2922 times
AstroZJ

Re: Need help identifying a boat

Postby GreenLake » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:11 pm

Hey, welcome!

This clearly is not an O'Day DaySailer. It does like a Javelin. If the sails have the J with Javelin insignia, that may confirm it, also, you can measure length and beam (width of the boat) and compare to the specs on https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/javelin-14-fox

In many ways the Javelin is like a smaller sister to the DaySailer. Much of the discussions here are generally applicable to boats of this type (centerboard, sloop rig, that is main plus jib, or what you call the "front sail"). Some people here may have seen or sailed on a Javelin, but most of us are unlikely to give you the same model-specific advice as another Javelin owner.

I would put the main in a bathtub (if you can get your hands on a bottle of sail cleaner, like sail wash, the better), soak and scrub gently. If the threads look like they are in good shape and the fabric isn't "rotten" - that is, the polyester fabric isn't too badly UV damaged, or attacked by mold, then you might be able to use it for your first practice sail. You are right, new sails are in your future, but you'd be surprised how pricey they are (compared to a free boat :) ) and you'd want to be sure that sailing is definitely in your future. (That is, you'll get good use out of your investment).

While you are cleaning everything and checking that you have all the parts, you might want to look at the thread on "Basic Concepts and Techniques" here.

Finally, if it is a Javelin, DR Marine may have type-specific replacement parts.

Good luck! Let us know if you managed to rig and / or launch her.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Miscellaneous