Resident clutz

Moderator: GreenLake

Resident clutz

Postby Fly4rfun » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:48 pm

It seems that I cannot get a break, Just had open Heart surgery the end of July, supposed to be careful and protect the Sternum. Well Friday I was doing some work in a crawl space in the ceiling. had been up and down the ladder many times. was going up again when I turned to the left to get my arms into the crawl space when i must have kicked the ladder out from under me. fell about 6 ft landing on the ladder ended going to the ED a few Hrs later turns out I had 3 fractured ribs on my right side toward the back ( 10,11-12) and a contused kidney. They admitted me for observation that was extended another day. very tender and looking at a couple of months or recuperation. Here I thought I could go out and sail in a gentle breeze. So be careful out there guys. good thing is i can combine the rehab of both the Heart and fx.
"Sail Aweigh" 1966 DS1 #2675
Fly4rfun

Re: Resident clutz

Postby GreenLake » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:32 pm

Get better, and stay off of ladders!
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Fly4rfun » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:39 pm

thats what they tell me, or to get some bubble wrap and enclose myself in it. this too shall pass. Thanks I will try
Fly4rfun

Postby tomodda » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:21 pm

Get well soon and take good care of yourself! Bubble wrap is exaggerated, but just do go slow. Been there, done that with the broken ribs, they're a real b*tch to heal. But positive attitude and patience with yourself are the keys. Best wishes,

Tom
tomodda

Postby Fly4rfun » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:58 am

Thanks Tom, I have all winter to recuperate. and finish working on the boat. but my primary goal is to get better and gain strength back and get a fresh start in the spring.
Fly4rfun

Postby tomodda » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:04 am

Slow and steady is the ticket. Walk as much as you can.

If it's any consolation, I broke my mast two Sundays ago. No one hurt, thank Neptune! Still need to write up that little "adventure" for this forum. In the meantime, I'm trying to figure out what I can do on time for my planned Halloween weekend cruise. It's always SOMETHING!
tomodda

Postby Fly4rfun » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:04 pm

I would say you could borrow mine, it has a tabernacle, if the cut is correct it could work.are you interested in selling a section of your old one? how did you do this.
Fly4rfun

Postby GreenLake » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:56 pm

@Tomodda - we do want to hear the story.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby tomodda » Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:06 pm

@Fly4fun: Thanks for the offer! I actually broke the tabernacle, not the mast itself, so "just" need to fix the tabernacle. How is another story. How are your ribs feeling today? Remember - RICE - Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate, you know the drill! Take care of yourself....

@GL: I'm on vacation (again! #whatalife!) with my wife, only have tablet with me. Nevertheless, I'll try to tap out the story later tonight. Long story short, what COULD have happened was a lot worse than what did happen. To the point that I had the shakes when we got ashore (I tend to have delayed reactions to mortal danger). My son was with me and immediately poured me a cold one. Good boy! Well, man.. He's 35 now and was a great help on this ill fated little voyage. Ok, I'll write later, with some photos.

Tom
tomodda

Postby GreenLake » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:09 pm

@Tomodda, I see that you are posting this. Looks like it's getting longer every time I refresh :)

Shaping up to be quite the story.

Delayed reaction: adrenaline wearing off?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:12 pm

@Fly4fun -- you are not alone. Right before we got hit by the pandemic, I managed to fall off my bike (in view of my front door no less) and break a collarbone. That took care of the last pre-pandemic winter sailing season. And while I can go sailing again, there's still something not quite right and I'm back in PT. . . .
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:42 am

@Tomodda: I'm going to comment here on your unfolding saga in the other thread to not interrupt.

Looking forward to the resolution here.

Three thumbs up, so far!
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby tomodda » Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:41 am

Thank you, but why not go ahead and comment over there. This thread is about Fly4Fun.

Besides, I have some rigging questions that may have to be split off from my little sea-story. We'll see. I'm just writing (and editing like crazy, hard to really write on a tablet).
tomodda

Postby GreenLake » Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:41 pm

@Tomodda. Sure. Glad I didn't earlier because it looks like you rearranged some of the earlier posts and replies would have ended up out of order.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Fly4rfun » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:13 pm

I am doing much better or was until i got coughing this am, coffee went down the wrong pipe, you can't splint the ribs from the front when they were broken in the back. the pain was excruciating. slowed me down most the day, but doing better. and have figured out a system to splint the ribs. I don't mind comments of other things here, it's not all about me.

Tom glad it was not worse, looking at the photos i see what happened. were those grade hardened bolts? or would you even want to use them in this application
GL ouch I almost think a collar bone would be worse. fortunately i have not added that to my collection of fractures.

G
Fly4rfun

Next

Return to Miscellaneous