Season Start - are we back to "normal"?

Moderator: GreenLake

Season Start - are we back to "normal"?

Postby GreenLake » Wed May 12, 2021 9:15 pm

Last night marked something that felt like a milestone on the path back to "normal", whatever that means.

The local beer-can event took place at its usual time and location. The usual suspects showed up, mostly in their usual boats, although there had been a bit of musical chairs in local boat ownership. Some people had a full complement of crew, some clearly where happier single-handing for a bit longer, perhaps waiting for a second dose.

I still remembered, from two years ago, where all the marks were supposed to be, except that you couldn't say the same for the marks, one being spectacularly AWOL. So we missed that mark. The wind showed up, the sun set in a blue sky, featuring a beautiful halo. It almost felt like summer.

Still, it's early in the season, we weren't at the full complement of boats, and the start line, set to accommodate the late summer crowds was definitely a bit underpopulated, and as always not even remotely square to the wind. We were also short of the full complement of floating hot tubs, paddle boards, canoes, and ski-boats that tend to come out to watch the sail boats. But we did have someone in an inflatable kayak that looked about as flimsy as a swim toy. Valiantly trying to get ahead of a group of boats all converging on the downwind mark.

Forced, by circumstances, to recruit from within my household, the crew started out grumpy&tired, but cheered up a bit when we came across someone on shore trying to give us directions, like "pull the gib", that just didn't quite sound like he actually knew more than what he'd picked up watching Master&Commander or the Hornblower Series. Or perhaps Captain Ron? We'll never know, because we pulled away quickly.

Our favorite waterfront restaurant is still closed, but you can use their dock and get take out. Some of that before heading home as the lights were coming out, and the evening was pronounced a success. Did we win? Second --- from the end.

Amazing to note how out of shape we can get. All the sailing muscles need to be trained again. Well, we'll have all summer.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Re: Season Start - are we back to "normal"?

Postby tomodda » Thu May 13, 2021 8:29 pm

GL: Thank you for your encouraging story. And yes, aching muscles and creaking bones ARE normal, so looks like we're getting back to "normal!"
tomodda

Postby Fly4rfun » Thu May 13, 2021 10:30 pm

My niece is here visiting with my sister and her husband, with her 11 yo son, so the plan it to take them "sailing" on the pond. Wednesday next week. as of right now I am removing the waterlogged foam and replacing it with the, gasp, pool noodles. plans are to have it don by Sunday evening. I will post some photos later. Glad things are getting back to normal for you GL. here's to a great season.
"Sail Aweigh" 1966 DS1 #2675
Fly4rfun

Postby GreenLake » Fri May 14, 2021 3:17 am

Sounds like fun. I bet the 11 yo would get quite a kick out of knowing that you stuffed pool noodles to keep your boat afloat :)
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Fri May 14, 2021 3:30 am

tomodda wrote:GL: Thank you for your encouraging story. And yes, aching muscles and creaking bones ARE normal, so looks like we're getting back to "normal!"

I think much of the workout is in rigging and launching.

I may have committed the usual blunder of setting vang, outhaul and similar sail trim to the conditions before the race. Thermals have a way of peaking well before the start, and sometimes they drop a notch just as the gun goes off. Or the horn. It's easy to forget to adjust them back.

Coulda raised the CB on the downwind leg, maybe, as well. Remembered about that only when we hit the downwind mark, and found it didn't need to be lowered :)

Other than that, things went swimmingly.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby tomodda » Fri May 14, 2021 9:05 pm

Well, my first few sails this year have been the usual comedy of errors. Forecast is looking good for Sunday though, so hopefully I can relearn from my redone mistakes (if that makes any sense)!
tomodda

Postby GreenLake » Sat May 15, 2021 10:01 am

Total sense.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Fly4rfun » Sat May 15, 2021 1:56 pm

I do the same each spring on my Motorcycle, first rides are a little dubious. doesn't take long to get in the swing of things again. firs longer ride next weekend. 10 of us getting together.
"Sail Aweigh" 1966 DS1 #2675
Fly4rfun

Return to Racing/Performance