Changing Hulls in a Regatta Series

Moderator: GreenLake

Changing Hulls in a Regatta Series

Postby waynhast » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:52 am

Are you allowed to change hulls in a DS Regatta, keeping the same sail numbers and crew? The replacement hull would meet all the same DS specifications as the first.
waynhast

Re: Changing Hulls in a Regatta Series

Postby tomodda » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:56 am

As far as I can see, the class rules neither allow nor disallow changing hulls. Not that I've read the whole thing, but I suspect the IYRR doesn't say either. If I were you (famous last words), I'd ask the race committee/organizers of your regatta as much in advance as possible. If possible, ask them to spell it out in the SI. I can see the committee being less than happy about having to measure another hull and spars.

Curiosity killed the cat question - what are you asking? I've only heard of folks switching hulls in 3 situations: Broken boat (obviously), they're flying in from somewhere and chartering, or the regatta specifically forces everyone to swap hulls between races so as to even out any advantages.
tomodda

Postby waynhast » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:12 pm

The short answer is I bought a 2nd boat this Spring and plan to race it in our Club DS series. If it doesn't work out I plan to go back to using my original one.
Like you, I did go thru RRS and DS rules and found no reference. I do know in the 2015 NACR's a hull was swapped out for another.
waynhast

Postby Bob Damon » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:16 pm

We have no rules specific to changing a hull in the middle of a series of races such as a regatta. This would come the Constitution, paragraph 15.1, Subjects not covered where essentially common sense rules. In this case, likely a competitor would petition the organizing authority as to why a change is needed. If it is to continue to race after your boat was damaged, likely it would be approved. If it was to gain an advantage by getting the opportunity to use a better boat, likely not. It usually requires a notice to competitors to be posted if the request is approved.
Bob Damon
Class Measurer

Postby tomodda » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:24 pm

The Measurer has spoken! Thank you, Bob. And there you go, talk to your committee, talk to your club members.
tomodda

Postby waynhast » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:23 pm

Thank you both for your replies and insight.
Bob, thank you for being Class Measurer and your time and dedication to the DS Class boat.
waynhast

Postby tomodda » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:59 pm

Quite welcome. Good luck in your racing season! As always with race rules, put yourself in the other skipper's boat shoes. Does what you're asking for seem fair, seen from the other cockpit? In this case, really depends on what you mean by "in case boat #2 doesn't work out..." Only you, your sense of Fair Play, and the race committee can figure that one out.

Fair winds!
tomodda

Return to Racing/Performance