compass rules

Moderator: GreenLake

compass rules

Postby amazingsailordudes » Mon May 23, 2005 9:36 pm

I was wondering what the class rules were for compasses. We were looking for a new compass for our racing DSI and we want to know what's legal and what's not. Can we use a digital compass? or does have to be the old fashioned kind? If we can use a digital compass...I'm sure there are some restrictions on it's capabilities....??

Thanks
amazingsailordudes

Rule 5.14

Postby Roger » Tue May 24, 2005 1:14 am

Rule 5.14 states...

5.14 Electronic instruments except compasses shall not be used during sanctioned racing events.

Without opening a can of worms, I would guess that as long as your electronic compass did not have features that give you an unfair advantage over other competitors, it would likely be accepted.

I would bet however that my built in electronic compass on my gps that also gives me speed, time to go, and bearing to a waypoint (mark), would be protested!
Roger

Postby amazingsailordudes » Sun May 29, 2005 3:00 pm

ok, thanks
amazingsailordudes

Postby Phill » Mon May 30, 2005 3:28 pm

In 2002, the Day Sailer Boad of governers passed the following By-Law amendment

By-Law 3, rule 5.14
Electronic instruments, except compasses and timepieces, shall not be used during sanction racing events.

Electroic compasses that display heading only (no more info than a mechanical compass is capable of) are legal. All lift/header, speed, or other interpretive (computed) info will not be allowed. Remember this only applies if you are racing in sanctioned events. If you are enjoying your GPS and other info, during Daysailing, enjoy.

Phill Root
Phill

Class-legal digital compass?

Postby nmelby » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:12 pm

This digital compass has the following:
1. heading
2. tactical display
3. race timer

http://www.tacktick.com/2007Tacktick/pr ... sp?prod=29

This is the same as the information displayed on this popular "glass ball style" tactical compass:
http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d12000/e9436.asp

So, given the rules discussed in this thread, is it safe to believe that this is legal in our class?

-Nate
Maelstrom- DS 4836
DS Fleet 132
nmelby

Postby Phill » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:34 pm

At the board meetings where we discussed the Tacktick compass you reference, I beleive that we intended to allow that model of electronic compass/time keeper.

I am not currently on the board or a member of the Measurement Committee. So for the final word, you may want to get in touch with the Measureer before spending your money.

Hope to see you at Nats..

phill
Phill

Postby Bob Damon » Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:40 pm

Phil's comments are on the mark. the Tack Tic compass can be used during racing as long as only the heading feature is used. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me. Thanks.
Bob Damon
Class Measurer

Thank you!

Postby nmelby » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:05 pm

Thank you to you both! That makes a lot of sense to me- there are a lot of computational features on some of the racing computers out there today. This one is basically the same as the regular glass globe format, so it should fit within our rules.

Definitely see you both at the NACR! We're looking forward to having you in La Crosse- we have a beautiful area and some fun sailing on Lake Onalaska. It will be great to be able to meet face-to-face too!
-Nate
Maelstrom- DS 4836
DS Fleet 132
nmelby

Re: compass rules

Postby Merlin-2977 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 pm

Is the Velocitek SpeedPuck class legal? http://www.velocitek.com/speedpuck/ It works by detecting the doppler shift in GPS radio signals rather than through a magnetic sensor. It does have a "Race Operation" mode that only displays compass heading. It is also $100+ cheaper that the TackTick Micro.
Merlin-2977

Postby Bob Damon » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:25 am

As long as it only displays compass heading and countdown timer, it is acceptable. If it shows speed, headers/lifters, gives tactical data, it is not allowed.
Bob Damon
Class Measurer

Postby GreenLake » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:26 pm

Bob, can you confirm that having a restricted mode is sufficient, or must the device inherently be incapable of displaying other information, no matter what mode it is in?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Bob Damon » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:57 am

Having a restricted mode is sufficient. We rely on the integrity of our members while racing to follow the rules so even if it did not have a "restricted mode" as long as the operator is not changing the displays to view improper information, is is fine as well.
Bob Damon
Class Measurer

Postby GreenLake » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:06 pm

Thanks for the clarification
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Racing/Performance