Mast raising.

Moderator: GreenLake

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 02, 2001 12:56 pm

Hey Ray! Thanks! That sounds good to me. I'll get a thumb screw and try that.

As for the mounting... be sure your stays are all top knotch. I apparently had a couple of strands (2 out of the 5) that were micro cracked (rust found with a magnifying glass afterwards) and the port shroud let go in a mild puff (with five on board... weight) and the tabernacle (sp?) is obviously the weak point. Had some corrosion around the pop rivet wholes but hard to say enough to cause failur. Just plain weak there. A demasting is something I hope I never repeat and hope you don't experience either. If it wasn't so necessary for the raising and lowering of the keel-steped rig, I'd go one piece extruded instead. Best of luck and buckle up (the mast). -MAK

MAKurtis (Ymak41-at-yahoo.com)

Postby Guest » Thu May 10, 2001 9:28 am

I found a simple (not elegant) solution to keep the mast support from popping up through the cuddy deck when the mast is being raised if you don't have the thumb screw. I wrapped a stainless steel automotive hose clamp around the mast support just beneath the cuddy deck. I left about 1/4" space between the clamp and the deck to prevent abrasion while sailing. I just leave the support in place all the time with the clamp on after taking down the mast. Works!

Have a great O'day!

Calvin Trotter (calvin.g.trotter-at-saint-gobain.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:15 pm

My friend is in the process of designing a rig of some sort that is mounted on his trailer. As soon as it is proven he will gladly pass on the plans.

marilyn irvine (marilynirvine-at-shaw.ca)

Postby psness » Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:36 pm

My wife and I managed to raise the mast for the first time on our recently purchased DSII last weekend as a trial run to check out the rigging before we sail her for the first time hopefully next weekend. It was quite a gut-wrenching experience. We stood it upright next to the boat (a feat in itself) with my wife standing on the ground next to the boat and me on top of the cuddy. Next it got heaved straight up on a rug to protect the newly painted deck, next up to the top of the cuddy then down into the hole. It was even tougher taking it down, as after it was lifted out of the hole and onto the top of the cuddy, I (being short) had a very tought time keeping it straight up as it was so top heavy. Are there any other methods that would be easier?
psness

Previous

Return to Racing/Performance