foiled again, hopefully no curses

Moderator: GreenLake

foiled again, hopefully no curses

Postby thomas » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:09 pm

I have been gathering info on the performance improvement and construction of foils for our boats. My question, Bob Hunkins notwithstanding, (AND SOME GREAT INFO AND DRAWINGS HE SHARES), is it worthwhile modifying original equipment or better to start from scratch, building a new rudder and CB? Can the originals be successfully modified and how?

thomas
thomas

Postby jpclowes » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:08 pm

This year, I bought a new centerboard. I got it from Phils Foils, in Ontario, Canada. (www.philsfoils.com) I have to say the improvement in performance was amazing. I knew my old, stock board was bad, but I didn't realize how bad. I sail with a couple of friends, and they always used to beat me easily. Now I am competitive. I wonder what a new Rudder would do. (Disclaimer: I am not employed by nor have any relationship with Phils Foils, other than satisfied customer.)
J .P. Clowes
Eastern Great Lakes Regional V.P.
DSI 14083
jpclowes

Postby Baxter » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:20 pm

JP they're not class legal though right?
I'm looking for something to help me point better and I'm not sure what to invest in first, sails or CB. Right now I'm using the original ('77) blown out sails and they're driving me nuts but I can see how a new CB could help even when using old sails.
I know there's a big price difference but I was hoping to come across some used race sails.
Any suggestions?
Baxter

Postby jpclowes » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:31 am

To be honest, I haven't pulled out the tape to measure, but I believe my board is. To my eye it is the right shape. I mentioned when I bought it that I wanted it to be class legal, to which the sales guy replied that they knew the specifications, and had built them before. This class is not like the Laser class, for example, where you can only buy class legal equipment from "authorized" dealers. As long as it fits the profile mentioned in the bylaws, it is legal. A friend of mine who is a talented carpenter, built his own.
J .P. Clowes
Eastern Great Lakes Regional V.P.
DSI 14083
jpclowes

foiled again

Postby Wyatt » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:38 pm

I would definitely recommend building a new centerboard. My boat's performance had increased 100%, although I also reinforced the hull and that probably has also made the difference.

I used stock framing lumber ripped down to 1.375" square sections, and then laminated using epoxy. I did the rough shaping using a radial saw and a template. The biggest expense was getting a local blacksmith to make a stainless steel insert for the centerboard pivot. I pretty much followed Dave Misunas' instructions.

You can literally *feel* the difference in the water, as the boat will hold on a close tack and not wallow as it used to. I'm going to build a foil rudder this winter.

Phill Root said it somewhere on this site: if you want to improve your boat, focus on hull, cb, rudder, and then masts and sails.
DS1 2922
Wyatt

Return to Racing/Performance