Barber Haulers ?

Moderator: GreenLake

Barber Haulers ?

Postby Baysailer » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:16 pm

I was reading some tuning articles at lunch and got slightly confused on barber haulers and jib block placement. Mostly theoretical but if someone could explain it to me it would clear the air.

If you use barber haulers which are placed on the cuddy wouldn't that negate any tuning you did with the jib block along the track? They're going to always pull the jib inboard from a set location so it doesn't seem like the block placement matters much.

Has anyone tried mounting the jib tracks on the cuddy top. Seems to me if you placed them along the rear of the cuddy it would be nearly the same as the barber haulers and a good location to reach for crew or solo.

Fred B
Baysailer

Postby shawn » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:07 pm

Fred,

There are many different ways to rig a boat that all work, that being said I have barberhauler cleats mounted just over the cuddy opening. I use the windward cleat so it is the one furthest away from the sail. All it does is pull the jibsheet towards the centerline, there is virtually no downforce. The jib track is mounted on the side of the coamings in the cockpit. So the twist in the sail is still controlled by the fore and aft placement of the sliding block on the jib track. If you look in my gallery (shawn) there is a picture there that shows how it is rigged.

Shawn
DS10542
shawn

Return to Racing/Performance