speed

Moderator: GreenLake

speed

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 14, 2000 12:00 am

I am interested in knowing the design hull speed for the DS. Also, what is the maximum speed when sailing, assuming the possibility of planing under the right conditions. Finally, with a reefed main, what is the maximum wind speed under which a person can safely sail a DS without capsizing it? Is 15 knots about it, or can you push it to above 20 knots?

Ken C (kcobb-at-bspmlaw.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 14, 2000 12:00 am

I usually furl my jib at about 15 knots of wind and reef at between 15 to 20 knots of wind. But you can sail a Day Sailer under full sail at up to 20 to 25 knots of wind and not even come close to capsizing if you have the know how. No matter what the wind speed though, I suggest that you NEVER let go of the mainsheet for more than a few seconds! Use the camcleat provided to hold the tension, but always keep the line in your hand. That way if you get hit by a puff of wind you can imediately release the mainsheet and spill the wind. I have been sailing my DS II this way for 4 seasons (and sailed an O'Day Widgeon for 7 seasons before that) and have never come close to a capsize, and I usually sail singlehanded on Buzzards Bay in Massachusetts. On the Bay we regularly get 15-20 knot breezes every afternoon. Oh, another tip, get a tiller extension ( also called a hiking stick) with one of those you can sail while sitting on the side deck, you will be surprised at how that helps to reduce the heeling of the boat!
Hull speed for a displacement hulled boat is 1.15 x the squareroot of the waterline length. For the DS that will be 1.15 x 4 = 4.6 knots. In a good breeze, the DS will get up and plane and easily exceed 7 knots+. I presently use a 2.3hp outboard as auxiliary power, and move at 5.25 knots at W.O.T. sailing, I propably do almost as well.

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 17, 2000 12:00 am

Ken,

I second Rod's remark about NEVER letting go of your mainsheet when sailing in high winds. In the past 1 1/2 yrs, I've had at least 5 "just in time" releases where a capsize was imminent but avoided. In several of these I took on a LOT (3-4") of water in the boat.

Before I scare you too much, though, let me tell you about the conditions and my background. I got into sailing via shortboard windsurfing where at 15 knots one is just beginning to have fun. Thus, I tend to take my boat out in winds that most will pass on. Also, I live in Dallas and the winds here are not like the steady sea breezes that many of you enjoy. It can gust from 5 knots to 25 knots in an instant, and if you're caught by surprise you're going to get wet! But in general, the DS is a pretty stable boat, and if you pick your days and hang on to that main sheet you should never have to worry about a capsize.

As to your question about top speed, I've often wondered about this, too. Once planing, the DS can go REALLY fast if you've got the stomach for it. Planing on a broad reach in 15-20 knot winds is pretty safe and you can get the boat in the 10-12 knot range pretty easily. One of the keys to planing is to get your self and your crew as far back as possible. In big gust I'm usually as far back as possible w/ my knees against the rear deck and my crew is right next to me.

The fastest I have ever got my boat going was on a 20-25 knot day last summer. I had one of my 200+ lb windsurfing buddies as crew and on a big puff we took off and had to be going 20 MPH. The wake we were making looked like a ski boat's, and we were almost keeping up w/ the windsurfers for a moment. Another time, about 6 weeks ago, I was running down wind wing-to-wing when a huge gust came up behind us. I'm not sure if we hit 20 MPH that day, but it was scary flying over the chop, and I started wondering what it would be like if we were to pitch-pole! Anyone have any first hand experience here?

Kevin Clark
Dallas, TX
DS 11791

Kevin Clark (clarkr-at-aud.alcatel.com)

Return to Racing/Performance