Rigging for DS1 Main only vs. Main and Jib

Moderator: GreenLake

Rigging for DS1 Main only vs. Main and Jib

Postby guido » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:41 pm

Hi,

I am new to the fleet and and have been wondering how folks set up their boats when switching from single-handed Main only sailing to double handed main and Jib. My DS1 came with Doyle sails and the Doyle web site tuning guide discusses sailing with a full rig and the mast raked slightly aft aft. But the single handed sailors seem to rig the boat raked forward to get a more balanced helm. Is there a way to split the difference and get decent performance in both modes without having to fiddle the step and make big rig tension changes?

Thanks!

Guido
QYC DS Fleet
guido

Solo Sailing

Postby Baysailer » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:05 pm

Guido, Welcome. I think you'll like the DS and our little sailing commune.

Most of the sailing I do is solo so I might be able to give some insight on this (a lot of it from non DS class boats so there could be some variance). When the wind is light to medium you will find you can manage both sails with little issue, but when it starts to pipe a bit and you find it harder to keep the boat flat without flogging the sails its time to start doing things.

First thing to do is flatten the sail by tightening up the outhaul and downhaul (or cunningham) and playing the vang. If you have a traveller it would be a good time to let it out some. I don't have a traveller so I use vang sheeting there, use the vang to control the boom rise and the mainsheet to actually let it out. Another thing you can do before you reduce the sail area is to sail on the jib. Here you are relaxing the main and using the jib more actively for drive. The main is more for balance and helm control. For me this has worked well with the DS but thats just my experience.

Eventually though you will have to reduce the sail area. Some like to reef the main to get better balance. I've never been very good at reefing so I just go on the main alone. An advantage to sailing with just the main is simplicity, you don't have to orchestrate your tacks and gybes as much. You won't be able to point as well though. Raise the centerboard some to balance out the boat until the tiller pull is light to the touch. Position yourself to work with the boat and not fight it. The tiller tells the story.

You can try the jib only but there's not enough drive and you will find a lot of lee helm where it wants to turn away from the wind-bad,bad. Not to mention even with the centerboard all the way down it'll be bad balanced, will want to see saw.

I never mess with the mast position much if all. With my DS setup I can't but I can tighten it up some.

Fred B #1351
Baysailer

Postby Phill » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:44 pm

For main only sailing, try raising the Centerboard about half way.
You wont loose too much total area, but will move the (look out, tech talk coming) Center of Lateral Resistance to match the more aft position of the Center of Effort when sailing without the jib. Another advantage, with less CB depth, that boat will side slip if you heel very much, and make capsizing less of a problem.

JIb only is miserable. Broke my boom last summer, and had to sail jib only to get home. Doable, but slow.

Happy solo'n
Phill

Postby guido » Fri May 01, 2009 9:44 pm

Hi Phil,

This advise on on centerboard setting makes total sense.

Any thoughts on mast rake and/or rig tension when looking for a happy medium between main only solo and main/jib sailing with crew?

Guido
Phill wrote:For main only sailing, try raising the Centerboard about half way.
You wont loose too much total area, but will move the (look out, tech talk coming) Center of Lateral Resistance to match the more aft position of the Center of Effort when sailing without the jib. Another advantage, with less CB depth, that boat will side slip if you heel very much, and make capsizing less of a problem.

Happy solo'n
QYC DS Fleet
guido

Postby Phill » Sat May 02, 2009 9:00 pm

I think no special rig tension or mast rake adjustments. CB only should be enough. Experimenting may prove me wrong tho.

QYC, is that kwan-a-pow-it? sailed there back in '98. challanging lake, very pretty and fun area.
Phill

Postby guido » Sun May 03, 2009 8:34 am

Thanks Phil. I'll try it and let you know.

Yes. Quannapowitt is a nice lake, and a great club. It's been a good place to re-start sailing after too long away from the sport.
QYC DS Fleet
guido

Return to Racing/Performance