Heavy air NACs Pictures

Moderator: GreenLake

Heavy air NACs Pictures

Postby DS 1858 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:35 pm

http://robberghphotography.com/gallery/ ... 0099_fQJw6

This link has some great pictures from that crazy (30kts+) race #1 at the NACs. I've never seen Day Sailers flying off waves like that.
DS 1858

Postby jdubes » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:44 pm

Amazing pictures. I noticed a few boat changes that don't conform to the one design standards. Rudders, structural changes to the cockpit, i believe one even had a roller furling system. Great photos though.
jdubes

Heavy air NACs Pictures

Postby Jett » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:00 pm

I agree the photos are captivating. If a picture is worth a 1000 words, then this is a book worth reading several times!
Jett Conner
Jett

Postby jdubes » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:00 pm

As i look at the bylaws, i realized that some structural changes are allowed:

section 5.4 - "The hull and/or deck may be reinforced or stiffened on the inside."

roller furling system - as someone pointed out, it looks like the jib was wrapped around the forestay for storage.
jdubes

Postby Baysailer » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:04 pm

I spent last night looking at the DS NACR photos, much better than TV. My hats off to all the sailors who participated. There was a good cross section of age and gender as well as newer and older Daysailers. All looked to be good sailors and Daysailers to me. Go to Stage Harbors web site for the photos www.shyc.com. You'll need a password for deb McCaffreys photos, NACR2009.

Fred
Baysailer

Conformance to one design standards for the daysailer

Postby Imgaryo1 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:59 pm

If you have ever been to the NACR, you would see that all boats, including sails, masts and boom, centerboard and rudder are measured and verified to be in strict compliance with the Daysailer Handbook and bylaws. All boats are weighed. Sails are stamped and signed by the measurement chairman and measurement certificates are filled out and signed. There is no question that all the boats are in compliance.

What you may see in the photos are the different methods people use to rig their boats within the rules. Half the fun of participating in the NACR is seeing how ideas get kicked around and the good ideas eventually make it into the rest of the fleet.
Imgaryo1
President

Return to Racing/Performance