Basic Tuning Guide for the Day Sailer

Moderator: GreenLake

Basic Tuning Guide for the Day Sailer

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 25, 1998 1:00 am

This is a copy of Day Sailer tuning instructions put together by Al Larson, Rollie Reinhardt and others to share with new and old Day Sailer sailors. This guide is from a mid-seventies issue of the Day Sailer Quarterly.

<A HREF='http://members.tripod.com/~daysailers_colorado/tuningguide.html'>http://members.tripod.com/~daysailers_colorado/tuningguide.html</A>

Gus Heismann (gheismann-at-hotmail.com)

Postby Bob Hunkins » Sun Feb 08, 1998 1:00 am

Thanks for making that available! Lot's of good info!
I've got a question about Jib halliard tension: The tuning guide says the you should set the rig so that you measure a distance of 25'1" to 25'2" from masthead to transom before the jib is raised. Then, after you hoist and tighten the jib, the distance from the masthead to transom should be 25'4" to 25'5". I tried everything I could to get the jib tight enough to this distance, and just couldn't! I talked my friend here who also has a DS and he had the same problem. Can anyone enlighten me on how you did this? Did you have to rig a special block and tackle?

How do you raise the jib and get it to this tension after running under spinnaker? (I assume you drop the jib when under spinnaker)

Thanks,
Bob Hunkins
DS 11750, "Surprise!"
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 04, 1998 12:00 am

Bob.
I am sailing DS11023 made by Rebel, I am useing a wire jib halyard that attached to the jib luff wire (some jibs come with a rope sewn inside the jib luff I ordered mine with a wire ). The other end of the jib halyard goes to a magic box under the cuddy to adjust the tension. I wouldnt worry to much about the 25'4" measurement it's not that critical. If you want to check mast rake (while at dock side) hage a weight on the main halyard and measure straight back the distance from the boom goose neck to the the main halyard 10" should be about right. If your useing the 25'4" to check rig tension you might be better off useing a tension gage on the fore stay and side stays,

Dave Misunas (misunas-at-sasquatch.com)

Return to Racing/Performance