Never
7%
I'm mostly working on my boat
10%
Other
3%

Total votes : 30

Postby Geronimo » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:22 am

We have a few DS-1's and a DS-2 at our yacht club on the Toms River in New Jersey. The club hosts a PHRF/Porstsmouth series which is 5 dates spread out over the Summer. We race non-spinaker in the interest of making the racing less intimidating and more inviting to newcomers.

Messin' about in the DS's is also fun here at the "Jersey Shore". Fall is my favorite time for that as there are far fewer power boats.
Andy from the Jersey Shore
"oofah!" DS-1 #3877
Geronimo

Postby jdoorly » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:16 pm

Sorry K.C. no pics by me yet but here's the Sailmaker's pic...

http://www.doylesails.com/cruising/ups/index.html

My jib and asym furlers are both Harken 435s ($212 at Defender.com) and require the sails to have a wire bolt rope. I used 3/16 line on the jib furler and it works well, but the asym furler eats more line and doesn't work as smoothly- I have to replace it with 1/8 line.

I was surprised by the small size of the UPS Although the faster drifters I have seen on other boats were small they were very helpfull in light air. I think the small size will also prove good when singlehanding. Doyle makes a larger asym cruising sail called the APC for about $500. My UPS was $330, and tri colored.

I tried attaching the furler to a tack pennant but that screwed up furling so I attached the furler directly to a short sprit.
DS2 #6408 "Desperado"
jdoorly

Postby ctenidae » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:43 pm

I race everything else on the water. I most often get beat by kayakers and the occasional piece of driftwood.

I'd love to race beer league, but the time commitment is untenable. Being anywhere on a weekday evening is near impossible, since I usually don't leave the office until after 7. Weekends would be fun, but again, time constrictive. And so, I race sea gulls and pelicans.
Formerly 28 cents
DS1 1114

Now, sadly, powered boating...
ctenidae

Postby Bob Hunkins » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:59 pm

The poll assumes these are mutually exclusive activities... I would have to answer yes to all the following:

Yes, racing competively in a fleet, regional or national
Yes, racing in a club
Yes, beer can race (multi-class)
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby GreenLake » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:55 pm

Bob, it's an unfortunate restriction in the way the forum software handles polls. I suggest you pick either the most organized form of racing, or the form that you are most actively engaged in for purposes of adding a vote. I feel that, combined with an explanation in a separate post, will allow a reasonable interpretation of the poll results despite these limitations. So, if you didn't click anything yet, please add your vote.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Racing vs Cruising

Postby Imgaryo1 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:21 pm

I race because it makes me a better sailor. I cruise because it makes me a better person.
Jaghen--Sail number 2551
Imgaryo1
President

Re: Racing vs Cruising

Postby K.C. Walker » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:36 pm

Imgaryo1 wrote:I race because it makes me a better sailor. I cruise because it makes me a better person.

Yeah, yeah, that's the ticket, it makes me a better person to go sailing! I'm feeling better already!

KC
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby Alan » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:48 pm

Once I get done fixing the boat (hah) our plans include picnic daysails, with eventual cruising.
Alan

Postby Bob Hunkins » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:05 pm

Green-
I did vote, I chose the most organized. And yes, the software is limited.
I need to do something about that... :-)
Bob Hunkins
#11750, "Surprise"
San Leon, Texas
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby GreenLake » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:54 am

Bob, thanks for the clarification of your vote. I wish more people would vote. We are down to one vote per 30 views - that can't all be the same 16 or so people viewing this thread over and over again :roll:

And, no, I didn't mean to cast asparagus at the sofware.

Incidentally, this is intended to find out about everybody's racing preference, without any intent to downplay cruising. Perhaps in due time we can have another poll that focuses on what type of cruising people are doing.

One thing I messed up with (a bit) in setting up this poll. I should have distinguished better between level (class), handicap, and "free-for-all" (multi-class, but no handicap) racing. But, as long as we are not getting more votes, such fine distinctions won't matter anyway.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby jpclowes » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:18 am

I didn't see a place to actually click on the poll and vote. But I do mostly local fleet racing. I did race in the NACR this year, for the first time, but that was primarily because it was here at my home club. I would like to do more of that, but life and family commitments make that kind of difficult.
J .P. Clowes
Eastern Great Lakes Regional V.P.
DSI 14083
jpclowes

Postby jpclowes » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:20 am

OK I figured out the poll. Helps to log in. Anyway, I also will sail and race anything on the water, so really I could click three or four of those options too. :D
J .P. Clowes
Eastern Great Lakes Regional V.P.
DSI 14083
jpclowes

Postby GreenLake » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:22 pm

That is a good point. I'll add a note to the top post, perhaps by letting people know that, we can get more representative votes. So far, the results are interesting, but the numbers are so low, that there's got to be quite a bit of "noise".

Yet there were hundreds of views of this thread during the same time, so there simply must be others that didn't bother to log in.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:28 pm

Bumping this to the top again.

If you believe the forum software, we've had over 2500 views of this thread. Paltry numbers of replies to the poll by comparison.

If you haven't, add your vote, or add a note.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Scott Mulford » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:47 am

Greenlake made me do it...

I seem to be the only one racing against myself.

I bought my daysailer for pleasure cruising. I want to stay clear of the racing circuit for fear of adding stress instead of taking stress away. So what if I go 3.5 kts instead of 4. It is the time with the water and wind that I'm after.
Scott Mulford

PreviousNext

Return to Racing/Performance