The planing DS ?

Moderator: GreenLake

The planing DS ?

Postby Arey's Pond » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:36 pm

The planing DS ?

So - I was looking all around the web for more info. on the DS being a planing boat ... but did not find much ... just thought of these DS racing pages, maybe more hidden here? (just reading "fastest speed" post)

Qs on the O’Day Daysailer’s planing ability -
(w/ the obvious notion that it depends on the skipper ...)

How does it compare to the faster planing boats (Lightning, Thisel, Flying Scot, etc. - we know it’s slower ... by how much ...)

Any comparisons that those of you who have sailed/owned the DS and another planing (racing) boat that you may have gleamed?

When (in terms of wind speed) can it normally plane? 10kts? 12kts ...

Quarks, difficulty, etc. of planing a DS?

Can it plane a lot, a little, not much, or just when the stars align and the wind gods are kind ... ?

Thanks in advance!
Looking at purchasing a DS - as it can plane - but wondering how sound that is?
Randy
Arey's Pond

Postby shawn » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:30 am

The DS planes easily in roughly 12 kts. Keep your weight back so you get it on the rear flat planing surfaces and are on the right point of sail (not pointing). Make sure you are not overtrimmed with your sails creating too much side force and not enough lift. First get it on plane and then trim the sails to adjust for the new apparant wind. Boats like the thistle have a huge spinnaker, 420's uses a trapeze so of course these are faster more racing machines but the DS can really get going and you will definitely notice the difference.

Good Luck,
Shawn
shawn

can YOU plane

Postby dannyb9 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:39 pm

sure the boat can plane, designed by uffa fox the father of planing dinghys. the question is, do you know how to get up on a plane. its an art/skill. that said, i've owned a lot of small boats, the ds is maybe the sweetest, best handling boat i've owned. (i'm on my second one) it sneaks up onto a plane so smoothly its not as noticeable as say, my sunfish, which plows along until it busts out of its bow wave and takes off. the ds just keeps going faster and smoothly transfers into plane, i guess because of the beautiful entry. its a great boat...i should add , i dont sail with a spinnaker
sometimes my sailing woman friend will be on the helm and i'll turn around, look at the beautiful, smooth flat wake, and say"hey we're planed out! : )"
dannyb9

Postby Bob Hunkins » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:47 am

Anytime the boat is going faster than ~5+ kts, you're planing. Usually, I've planed on a beam reach in 10-12kts of wind or more. With the spinnaker up it's easy to plane on a broad reach in that wind. In August, I had my GPS with me on Galveston Bay and regularly was in the 6-7kt boat speed range on a broad reach. You'll know it when it happens. The boat pick up her skirts, and goes. :-)
Bob Hunkins
#11750, "Surprise"
San Leon, Texas
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby K.C. Walker » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:34 pm

Today was a perfect day for planing my Daysailer. I went out for about 5 hours and I'm really tired. I was out single-handed and I would guess the breeze was 10-12 kn and pretty steady. I mostly stayed in little Narragansett Bay and Watch Hill harbor which was super smooth as it is behind a sand barrier island. On a beam reach my Daysailer was planing nicely. I was even keeping up with a windsurfer at times. I've noticed that it's easier to get the boat planing while single-handed, that this with less wind.

I went out side the barrier island through a channel which was funneling the wind so I guess it was maybe 14 kn in there. On the outside in Fishers Island Sound the wind was as good but it was choppy so I didn't get planing until I returned back through the channel running dead down wind. I don't have a spinnaker so I was not expecting to plane dead down wind. When I had the room to head up into a broad reach the boat really picked up speed. I did get some good surfing down wind on the outside but it wasn't as much fun.

I agree with Danny. The boat seems to sneak up on a plane.

Tons of boats out today, it looked like August. We probably are not going to get many more days like this here in New England. What a gift!
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Return to Racing/Performance