racing a DSII

Moderator: GreenLake

racing a DSII

Postby Salty Dog » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:49 pm

I have't Looked at everything I'm sure, but it seems to me most of the racers are DSI from looking at the pics. I was wondering If there was a reason for that.

Thanks calvin
Salty Dog

Re: racing a DSII

Postby K.C. Walker » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:01 am

I think that it's because the DS1 has a more open and accessible structure. One can configure the boat more easily to your liking. That is, you can cut the coamings down so that it's easier to sit on the side decks and hike out. The cockpit and cuddy are far more accessible for rigging. One can take out the flooring to eliminate weight but also it's easier to stiffen the boat up by adding structure where you want it without adding too much extra weight. With a DS2 if it gets tired from age it's pretty difficult to bring it back, whereas with a DS1 there are strategies to stiffen it back up that work quite well. Most of the competitors at the top end regattas are sailing boats from the 1960s.

It's kind of interesting that in most one design classes, it's the newest boats that are the winners, but with Daysailers it's the oldest.
Last edited by K.C. Walker on Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby Salty Dog » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:42 am

Thanks K C

The reason I was asking was. I have a DSII and was thinking about raceing on my lake and I was wanting to kinda know where I stood as for as raceing the boat W/ other DS. I was looking at the race pic. and natrally I was looking for boats like mine and could not find any. I'll have fun either way for sure.

Thanks again Calvin
Salty Dog

Postby shawn » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:32 pm

The boats have a maximum weight and since the DSII has the inner liner they had to build the bottom thinner. The DS I has a much stiffer bottom which is why they are the better racing boat. among the other attributes you mention
shawn

Postby swiftsail » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:25 pm

There is actually no Maximum weight, but there is a Minimum weight of 575 and most serious racers are very near that. I think the DS2's tend to be quite a bit over that.
DS 307 "Security Risk"
DS 14024 "Flight Risk"
Live Slow, Sail Fast
swiftsail

Postby shawn » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:58 pm

you are absolutely correct LOL The hand working faster than the eye
shawn

Postby GreenLake » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:13 pm

K.C. Walker wrote:It's kind of interesting that in most one design classes, it's the newest boats that are the winners, but with Daysailers it's the oldest.

Which would seem to indicate that the design changes that went into the DSII were not motivated by any intent to make the boat a better racing boat. Which would seem to indicate that either the people creating that design didn't know any better, or that they didn't care, because they knew (or thought) that the sweet spot of their market was somewhere else.

Or, it could just be that trying to retrofit a late 50's design into an 70's design by making it double hulled was simply a bad compromise.

Where do you think the CapeCod Shipbuilding Co. is aiming the DaySailers that they currently build?

And why do you think they are doing that?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby shawn » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:36 pm

I believe the changes were made to appeal to the more recreational market. The trend was to make sailing safer and more accessible. A capsized DS I is not anyone's idea of an enjoyable sailing afternoon. Therorectically you could right the DS II and get sailing again, though the changes added weight and cost hull stiffness.
shawn

Postby Salty Dog » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:23 am

Prier to finding this site. My boat was the only day sailer i had ever seen. I sure have learned a lot about them in the past 3 weeks. I feel bad about leaving it in storage for the last 12 years, I had even thought of selling it . Now I can't wait to get it wet again. I think I am still going to add a few tricks to it I've read about here. maybe I can keep the DSIs from dropping over the horizon :D

SD
Salty Dog

Postby GreenLake » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:44 am

Calvin,

you may have written that already, but I can't remember: did you already race against a group of DS1s or are you still only planning to. I would not underestimate the effects of experience and local knowledge. I know that in our local races (which are not under class rules, but open to any type of boat) having the knowledge and skill has allowed someone with a technically slower boat wrest the laurels from the guys in the fastest boat time and time again...

Now, if the experienced guys all sail DS1s in perfect conditions....
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Salty Dog » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:48 am

G L
I had raced another boat other than a DS, At local Club races and had lots of fun and went to a big race 2 times and But I did not race enough to Really know what I was doing and was not a threat to anyone that did.

I had talked to John and Kerry both w/ DSII and told them I would try to come to the Wurstfest Regatta at at Canyon Lake and we could have a fleet. I had been studying all the modifications that people had done on their boats for raceing, and was considering doing some to mine. Also Bob had said something about Getting the SW region more active with raceing. All that got me into a sort of raceing mind set and I looked at Raceing Pics. and noticed there was no DSII in any of the races and was wandering why. John had told me the DSI were faster and sometime there were some at Wurstfest. I was wandering what made them faster and if they were if the DSII was handycapped or anything in the races. So I would have a handle on expectations going in.

In my case I have minimum experience in DS, Raceing, and locality, and What looks like a slower boat. Bright side I plan on having plenty of fun to make up for it. and a daysail'n is better than a daywork'n.

I like tinkering with my boat and I think I'm going to put a jib down haul, barber haulers, and I have an Idea for a jib halyard tensioner. My jib is new, I sent my main off to Sail Care for referbish and repair taire at the base of the batton pockets. Check out the floation and possibley replace w/ noodles. all this from reading this site. Tune the standing rigging and then practice, practice, practice.

Thanks Calvin
Salty Dog

Postby brucybaby » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:27 am

John had told me the DSI were faster and sometime there were some at Wurstfest. I was wandering what made them faster and if they were if the DSII was handycapped or anything in the races. So I would have a handle on expectations going in.

Just curious, according to specs (on the 'I Heart O'Days' web sight), DS2's are actually 5Lbs lighter than DS1's. (possibly due to the use of fiberglass double hull vs wood deck?) Same bottom design. I wonder why DS1's are generally felt to be a faster boat? Is the fiberglass thicker,therefore stiffer? Could it be sentimentality? Or does anyone actually know? It may be time for some Daysailer mythbustin'. Not that it really matters to me, I like 'em both, but would love to have a classic O'Day early built DS1 someday because well,...... they just look cooler to me.
Bruce
'71 Oday DS2-Dashaway: Hull# 25873 Class# 4842
Ray Twp., MI
Pics: http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... =slideshow
Vids: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL60647F9C03EAE28A
brucybaby

Postby Alan » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:27 am

This may be far-fetched, but are DSIIs slower because the hull molding places some of their weight higher up, thus increasing the tendency to heel?

Shawn has a good point, seems to me. The three generations of Daysailer, I, II and III, progressed from quick, nimble and carefree (DSI) to somewhat prudent (DSII, with enclosed cuddy) to really prudent (DSIII, with enclosed cuddy and high freeboard aft). Not unlike what happens to people over time, if they allow it to... :D
Alan

Postby brucybaby » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:22 pm

Hey!, I resemble that last comment! :lol:
Bruce
'71 Oday DS2-Dashaway: Hull# 25873 Class# 4842
Ray Twp., MI
Pics: http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... =slideshow
Vids: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL60647F9C03EAE28A
brucybaby

Postby Salty Dog » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:22 pm