20:1 vang

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: 20:1 vang

Postby DigitalMechanic » Wed May 25, 2016 10:57 pm

There is an eye strap on the front of the mast. The 3 raps of blue line go through it and through the triple block's becket. That is Dynema rope that is used to minimize stretch. It does a good job of holding the triple block low to the cuddy roof. However, this really only works well if you are not cleating off halyards on the cuddy roof. Otherwise if you do the halyards cross with the vang to make an X shape which causes the vang to receive resistance on broad/beam reaches. And that is no good. I added the pivot cleats for the halyards to eliminate the cross up between the two.

Edit... It is actually a quadruple wrap. 1 wrap goes through the triple block, and another goes through the cascade rope (spliced loop) from the big block at the boom, and then 2 more around the mast itself to give the leverage to winch the whole thing in and tie a good knot to keep it close to the mast/cuddy roof. It detaches at the boom, and I just sling it down into the cuddy when on the trailer. I never actually remove it from the mast.
DigitalMechanic

Postby itguy1010 » Fri May 27, 2016 6:12 pm

DM, your vang setup looks pretty serious. I'm sure it provides all the purchase you need.

However, in your photo I see the same dilemma that I am currently working to solve. If you add to your cuddy top line control area a spinnaker halyard, topping lift, foreguy, and jib downhaul you will get an idea of what I'm up against. Too many lines and not enough space or line management devices. Especially when I add a vang to the mix. Then all running rigging line angles become really important or I start having problems when reaching. But, I'm working on a solution. Just want to be sure before I start making holes in my cuddy top.

I sailed all last year without attempting to rig my stock Oday vang since I was really in a "learning to sail all over again" state and I have mid-boom sheeting with no traveler. Last week I decided to give it a try and honestly, the stock vang just seems like a waste of time and space to me. I couldn't tell that it was doing anything with the limited amount of purchase I was getting. Now, I'm not suggesting that no vang is the right way to go. But, I'm just really not certain yet what is a good compromise between simplicity and performance.

My goal is to generally keep trips to the foredeck and to the mast to a minimum when underway. This is why I don't cleat anything at the mast anymore (except for the main downhaul). Having all control lines easily accessible from the cockpit is worth the effort and planning in my opinion. I still have to go foreword to rig and gybe my spinnaker or set the anchor etc. but generally I rarely leave the cockpit.

Thanks for your photo. Its giving me some ideas.
Eric White
The "Jackie Beck"
73 DSII #6428
itguy1010

Postby DigitalMechanic » Fri May 27, 2016 8:17 pm

Wow, I do not even have a spinnaker on my boat and it is really starting to look busy on the cuddy roof. I can't imaging what your looks like. Honestly, I do not even know how to rig a spinnaker (I am a pretty new sailor, and still trying to master the standard sails). Is there a possibility of leading controls further aft following the edges of the boat? I brought my jib downhaul to the starboard rail on the side of the cuddy next to the chainplate for the sidestay. It is the easiest thing on my boat to find, aside from the tiller ;) When dousing the jib the boat is going to be flat anyway, so I don't see a reason that one side of the boat is better than the other for the jib downhaul, so I just picked one. I am guessing here as well, because I do not know better, but wouldn't the spinnaker be up only in a down wind position where the boat would be relatively flat. Could you do something similar with those controls to free up space on the cuddy top? Or would that even be worth it? Also, I tie my topping lift off on a horn cleat on the side of the mast, which helps reduce clutter on the cuddy roof.

In my little brain and/or a perfect world, every control would come to the centerboard, in a fashion that would not allow tripping or cluster, making a master control center for the skipper, lol. But we all know that is not possible. Imagine all that stuff on your cuddy hanging off the centerboard, lol.

With that said, thanks for the thumbs up on the vang. Again, most of the comments around here are calling for a 20:1, but mine is only a 10:1, and it bends my mast easily like a bow and arrow, with minimal effort. I am not sure if this is just because of the mast I have, but seems like in my case there is not reason for more purchase. I guess your mileage may vary on each boat. But the design allows for an easy and inexpensive upgrade to a 20:1 if desired.
DigitalMechanic

Postby Shagbark » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:48 pm

DM brings up a good point about the halyards interfering with the vang when the halyards are tied off on the horns on the cuddy roof. Maybe others can respond if they have or have not run into this issue. And if they have, how did they resolve it? I would like to keep all my control lines accessible from the cockpit.
Shagbark

Previous

Return to Racing/Performance