Electronic Compass

Moderator: GreenLake

Electronic Compass

Postby waynhast » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:30 am

Are either the Tacktick TO60 Micro Compass or the Velocitek Speed Puck compass allowed in DSA sanction races? In particular the Nationals. The last info I found on the forum was for 2005 and was unclear to me what the decision was.
waynhast

Re: Electronic Compass

Postby tomodda » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:58 am

Hellno

I know this is a 6 year old question, but I figured it merits an emphatic response.
tomodda

Postby GreenLake » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:23 pm

Thank you, Tom, for making sure no stones remain unturned and no questions unanswered :)

Now, I sail in unsanctioned, anything goes, events. Have resisted spending money as the DS is one of the slower boats in a non-handicapped "race".
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby tomodda » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:14 pm

Hell, I'm happy if I don't get hung up in irons, TackTick isn't going to help there! But, as associations go, I'm glad that the DSA tries to keep things reasonable (no outlandish tech) but still lets you innovate where it will do some good (running rigging). Not that I'm racing mine....

And I just responded to this thread because @waynhast was today asking about rules on swapping hulls, so I looked up his other posts.
tomodda

Postby Bob Damon » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:21 pm

Per our Measurement Bylaw, 5.15, you can use the timing and compass heading functions and reference to a user input to identify headers or lifts, that's it.
Bob Damon
Class Measurer

Return to Racing/Performance