Does the Day Sailer qualify for 'International' status?

Moderator: GreenLake

Does the Day Sailer qualify for 'International' status?

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 05, 1997 12:00 am

The Day Sailers have an active class in Brazil. Do we qualify for "International" status? Can we call our class the
"International Day Sailer" class? This would make us different from every other dinghy and some small keel boats who are refered to as a Day Sailer!

Think about it! We could have a whole new image to market to the sailing world. Many P.R. releases could shout about our new image and status.
Maybe a new "IDS" symbol for a new sail logo.

Gus Heismann (marktdes-at-oneimage.com)

Postby Bob Hunkins » Tue Sep 09, 1997 12:00 am

>Maybe a new "IDS" symbol for a new sail logo.

Should I wait to buy new sails?.....:-)

Actually I'm rather attached to the DS logo. What does international status imply? Who determines that status?
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 12, 1997 12:00 am

Don't wait for our new logo, because we need more than one country with Day Sailers to qualify for International status. I found this on the ISAF Website. "There are lots of hurdles for class rules etc., but the main test is the number of boats actively racing. For this test, the ISAF have set the standard as at least twenty boats in each country. For recognised status, a class needs to have boats "actively racing" in three countries in two or more continents or in four countries in one continent. For International status, the requirement is at least six countries in three or more continents. Classes are asked to produce proof of numbers. Thankfully, the ISAF do carefully check the proof and so there is no getting in by making vague statements about numbers. Names and addresses of individual boat owners are required!"

Does anyone know if we for qualify Recognised Status? If so, let me know so I can start gathering the proof?

Gus Heismann (marktdes-at-oneimage)

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 15, 1998 1:00 am

Official 'International' status might be good but I would not change the DS logo. Many International classes do not incorporate their 'status' in their sail logos but are still known as International classes (470, 505, Fireball). Besides, people might think the IDS was something different than a DS. We would have to start all over building the 'name'. Haven't we had enough trouble assimalating the various versions of the Day Sailer over the years?

Keith Bay (kabay-at-execpc.com)

Return to Racing/Performance