First Race Experience

Moderator: GreenLake

First Race Experience

Postby MookaCB » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:49 am

A couple of months ago I joined Vancouver Lake Sailing Club just north of Portland Oregon. There are several DS members, but those boats don't seem to get much use. The largest fleet are Lightnings followed by lasers.

Last night was my first time racing my DS (I have done a little keel boat racing, but not much). I am proud to say that I got second place in the mixed fleet. Please don't ask how many boats raced in the mixed fleet last night...

Most things went fairly well with the exception of my spinnaker. I need to figure a better way to stow the pole so that it can be left rigged (guy, topping lift, downhaul) and just attached to the mast.

Do the racers out there boom stow their poles? Leave them on the foredeck, cuddy or cockpit?

I think with a little work, I will be able to beat that laser next week!
MookaCB

Re: First Race Experience

Postby GreenLake » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:04 pm

I race my DS1 in the local beer cans (mixed fleet, no handicap). The DS1 has open space between seats and side decks. That space is perfect for storing things like paddles, spinnaker poles or tiller extensions. In boats with a molded cockpit these things are always underfoot. So, I assume your DS is of more recent vintage?

About fighting valiantly for last place, tell me all about it. :)

Some wind conditions, sailing the DS solo, I can match some of the local lasers in boat speed, but I lose the game in tacking (just not up to roll tacking the DS by myself :) ). Our races also feature several large starts of keelboats, so we have lots of "obstacles" to deal with, which makes it more challenging and gives even slower boats a chance to make up a place or two by better tactics.

Hang in there, and remember it's supposed to be about having fun!
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Re: First Race Experience

Postby MookaCB » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:29 pm

Thanks GL. It was a lot of fun.

I think I could have taken the Laser downwind if I wasn't using my crew member as my spinnaker pole. You just can't control the trim and he doesn't take direction as well as my pole :D
MookaCB

Return to Racing/Performance