Toe straps

Moderator: GreenLake

Toe straps

Postby oian » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:00 am

I'm in the process of upgrading a DSII that I recently acquired (ratchet blocks on the jib sheets, replacement of the wimpy original main sheet system with set of blocks, leftovers from an old Hobie 16, detuned to 4:1, and a swivel cam cleat base) and would like to add toe straps. Any help including photos of your setup, description, parts list, would be helpful. The only fittings that might be part of a toe strap system that I can find on this boat are shown in the attached photos; a metal strap (about 3/8" X 3 1/2", four inches above the floor) on either side of the centerboard case on the front bulkhead, and a small eye strap below the drain plug on the inside of the transom. Sorry for the small size of the photos, by the time I cropped them to a point the file size would be accepted by the forum, they were pretty small, (The seventy year old mind does not do well with computers!). Any description with parts needed or photos would be greatly appreciated, especially by my wife who sailed for the first time in her life, in this boat, a week ago. Falling out backwards at this point would definitely not help her appreciate the joys of sailing!

Thanks, John
Attachments
DSCN0157.JPG
DSCN0157.JPG (216.32 KiB) Viewed 5681 times
DSCN0156.JPG
DSCN0156.JPG (173.63 KiB) Viewed 5681 times
oian

Re: Toe straps

Postby GreenLake » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:55 am

Looks like you are set up for hiking straps.

Fundamentally, a hiking strap is a simple bit of webbing with a loop stitched at each end. You tie a bit of 3/16" line through the end and the eyestrap in the boat, resp. the fitting on the side of the CB trunk. Some people will use a bit of bungee cord in parallel with the line at the transom end, to pre-tension the straps.

You can buy ready-made straps from may places (for example: http://www.apsltd.com/catalogsearch/res ... ing+straps), for other places, search the web for "hiking straps". http://strapworks.com may be a reasonable source for webbing or custom straps.

Hiking straps are sometimes padded.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Racing/Performance