centerboard question

Moderator: GreenLake

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:01 am

Sorry, I got carried away again. You also asked about seat back to seat back or not. Yes. The longer the traveler, the lower you can drop it. It is really cool to see the differnece on a close or beam reach of a traveler far to leward with the sheet hard versus the sheet loose and a vang on hard. Here again, the vang is trying to make up for the lack of a traveler. But a much better shape can be obtained with the traveler.

I also want to make it clear that I am not trying mock anyone or question there intellegence. I am trying to remain on a level that experts and begginers alike might better understand. It always seems hard to put into words what takes one fun day on the water to show.

Happy sails.

Collin

Collin Casey (gybe-it-at-houston.rr.com)

Postby Peter McMinn » Sat Feb 14, 2004 4:14 pm

I've found this conversation to be enlightening, and a little puzzeling. I've always been a firm believer in using a traveler, but when I bought #568 w/out one and the boat remains quite competitive with a 15/1 vang arrangement and properly tuned rig.

Anyway, back to Chad's centerboard question, Bob found his info in 6.3 of the Day Sailor One Design Measurement Rules (see Specifications and Measurements, this site)

"The weight of the centerboard, including any fittings permanently attached, shall not exceed 25 pounds".
Peter McMinn

Postby Phill » Tue May 24, 2005 11:07 pm

This is a very late addition to this discussion.

Since 1997 all Day Sailer NACR Champions with the possible except of one, use simple stern travelers. The two most successful current sailors dont even adjust these travelers in heavy air. Please study the advantages of "vang sheeting" used by many dinghy one design classes, and possibly "save your shins" and add simplicity without sacrificing the preformance of your Day Sailer.

phill :D
Phill

Previous

Return to Racing/Performance