Tiller Extension for racing

Moderator: GreenLake

Tiller Extension for racing

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 12, 2003 9:14 pm

Does any one have a recommendation for a tiller extension length and model for racing. I've been using a 'poor-boy' model (1/2" aluminum tubing} and am planning to upgrade.

Joe Fram (joefram-at-bak.rr.com)

Postby Roger » Mon Jan 13, 2003 4:22 pm

I have a 'Seaway Adjustable Hiking Stick' made by Seaway products out of Los Angles. It is about 5/8 aluminum and extends from 16 to 32 inches with a twist lock two inch cork ball on one end and a universal swivel on the other. It mounts with a thru-bolt on the tiller.

I don't race, but I find this one quite comfortable, easy to work, and relatively unobtrusive when not in use. I think I will add a wooden or plactic clip to snap in down in a stowed position along the length of the tiller when not in use.
Roger

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:00 pm

Hi Joe, The rule of thumb is you want your weight as far forward as possible and maintain good helm control. Page 919 of the West Marine catalog has several. I like the 42" Fastac Tiller Extension Model #131651/RO835 @ $32.99. I also made a 48" tiller (longer than the stock tiller)from 1 1/4 tubing from the hardware store @ $10.99, filled it with expanding foam for strength ($3.99) and added this tiller extension to it and it works great! I now have good control and I can even control the helm from the crew position.

victor nigro (neronigro-at-aol.com)

Postby Peter McMinn » Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:13 pm

I use the Forspar twist-lock extension that came with my boat. The locking function is starting to fail and probably will be usesless by the end of the summer. A new replacement from West Marine is $75. I'm considering adopting my brother's "poor man's" extension that he uses on his 15' Kestral. He removed the head from an old putter club, the stick of which turns out to be of very high quality, light-weight material. He bought a urethane universal joint from WM and secured it to the end of the tiller. The finished product is a strong and very light extension with a handle grip designed for fine golfing--and sailing. Not sure how long the stick is, but the helmsman can easily steer while hiking amidship. Very sensitive to feel to the helm, too.
Peter McMinn

Postby amazingsailordudes » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:23 am

My dad and i use a 48" carbon fiber extension....i'm not really sure the carbon fiber was worth it...but it sounds cool. I really think 4 feet is the way to go. This length let's us sit as far forward as possible. We use a cut bungee cord to slip over the extension and attach it to the tiller when we're not using the extension.
amazingsailordudes

Return to Racing/Performance