Racing Crew weight?

Moderator: GreenLake

Racing Crew weight?

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 26, 2003 3:50 pm

What do competitive crews weigh?

This doesn't seem to be in any of the guides.

Robert Harmon (rharmon-at-corvis.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 27, 2003 11:24 am

I've seen weight ranges all over the place...for example:

Len Fiock (Past National Champion) is probably 160#, his crew Matt is a big tall guy, I'm guessing around 230#

I've seen Len's son Bill do well with he and his wife on board at Huntington Lake (15+ knot of wind), Bill weighing probably 170, and his wife gail in the 120# range

The daysailer is pretty forgiving of a wide range of weights.

Don

Don Trop (don.trop-at-att.net)

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:01 pm

I have tried various crew weights over the last year and have learned the following for myself:
I am 150# and using a light crew of 110# to 120# was Ok in lighter air but soon as the wind rose above 12 knots I could no longer hold the boat flat. Mind you that the stock mast does not twist off heavy air and the hull will heal over in the gusts. This has not been true of a heavy crew in the 200# range where I am able to get more power from the stock mast and keep the boat flatter for speed.
My conclusion has come to the heaver crew being a greater advantage in most all conditions.
Yes, I have tried letting out the main sheet, lifting the center board a quarter to a half and the result was lack of pointing, luffing the main, and reduction in speed. I just can't compensate FAST ENOUGH for a positive result where as a heaver EXPERIENCED crew can.
Vcitor

Victor (neronigro-at-aol.com)

Postby amazingsailordudes » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:49 am

As long as the weight that's in the boat is forward, how much weight there is doesn't really matter that much. Except in heavy air. But even then, skill and tactics can still compensate. The DS is pretty forgiving as far as weight is concerned.
amazingsailordudes

Return to Racing/Performance