Compass Placement

Moderator: GreenLake

Compass Placement

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:00 pm

I just obtained a tactical (not Tack Tick) compass.

Any suggestions on placement...on top of the cuddy, behind the mast....on top of the centerboard trunk.

I'm really interested in the pro's and con's of each location. Anything that was a complete bad idea?

Thanks,

Don Trop
#2835 Killer Tomato

Don Trop (don.trop-at-att.net)

Postby Roger » Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:07 am

Near the anchor is a bad idea! Mine is installed high on the aft starboard cuddy bulkhead, between the cuddy opening and the sidewall. This places it at eye level, and as far away from any metal objects that may be stored on the bottom of the cuddy. By my own testing a metal screwdriver had to be within three inches to have an effect on the compass, so I felt that this was a safe position. I have not yet calibrated (boxed) the compass with the gps yet to determine if I need a deviation table. I store my anchor and chain on the port side. The only metal object close by is the hatch tab for the padlock of the cuddy doors. I have an aft reading bulkhead compass, C-149 by Saturn.
Roger

Postby Bob Hunkins » Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:36 am

I use a Ritchie Tactician, and I have mounted it on the top of the cuddy, on centerline. My running rigging is such that there are no lines in that area, so it works well for me. I've seen others put them on a thwart, and I've also seen them placed on cross beam underneath the cuddy, (which is used to stiffen the boat and hold cleats) they have installed them there. I've also seen some boats where they are attached to the mast. The key is to sit in the boat (while it's out of the water) in the positions where you and your crew would sit on either tack and think about where a good place to set the compass would be. Consider the size of the numbers, etc.

Regards,
Bob Hunkins
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 12, 2003 3:35 am

I hung mine below the cuddy cabin top, on centerline. My future Father-in-law is a great woodworker, and made me a shelf. He dove-tailed the pieces of wood together so there were no metal fastiners. It hangs down about 6 inches or so. It gives me good visability, but it hangs down too low and makes it a little hard to get foreward in the cuddy for stuff. I will probably shorten it this winter.

J.P. Clowes (jpclowes-at-hotmail.com)

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 13, 2003 4:41 am

The former owner of our boat had his mounted on the port side cuddy bulkhead, just below the deck. It seems to be out of the way. But we are more interested in just trying to sail!

However, it does seem to be in a useful location, especially if there is someone with you to lean over and read it if you get tied up actually steering the boat (like I find I often do...where's the friggin' boom? D'Oh! Hope this helps!

Dan Mejak (rrcrazy-at-earthlink.net)

Postby amazingsailordudes » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:56 am

I think the best placement for a compass would be one on each side of the boatrigh ton top of the cuddy, in the corner...but this requires two compasses...(compi..haha...no..) I think the best placement for one compass is behind the mast on top of the cuddy. WE have one now hanging under the cuddy: it is the most annoying thing in the world....we always have to lean over and squint to see it....definately need to change that.....
amazingsailordudes

Return to Racing/Performance