Penobscot Bay Cruise

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Penobscot Bay Cruise

Postby Marshhawk » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:42 pm

I got a complete write up of the log of my recent cruise of the bay and points east posted for anybody who's interested. 150 miles in 8 days in the Daysailer, best boat ever made... http://sites.google.com/site/dinghycruising/
Marshhawk

Great Stuff!

Postby sunapeesailor » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:46 am

Your description of the Marshhawk travels is terrific. Do you feel that a tent enclosure that covered the entire cockpit would have been an improvement? I am looking at replacing my boom tent and have collected an assortment of fiberglass poles from tents to use as bows. I have a picture on my page that shows a boom tent similar to what I am thinking.

Fairwinds!
"If you make no time for yourself, who then, are you making time for?"

Tidewater, VA
1971, 'er, 1966 O'Day DaySailer 1
sunapeesailor

boom tent

Postby Marshhawk » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:59 am

In some ways the longer tent would be preferable, especially when it rains, so I wouldn't have to pump out the boat. However, I like the "back porch" effect of the small tent.
Marshhawk

Thanks

Postby sunapeesailor » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:25 pm

Thanks. We're thinking that we could use a full-length tent when needed and fold to half-length as the weather warrants.

Maybe one day we'll be lucky enough to put in Down East...

Fairwinds
"If you make no time for yourself, who then, are you making time for?"

Tidewater, VA
1971, 'er, 1966 O'Day DaySailer 1
sunapeesailor

Postby MrPlywood » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:37 pm

Thanks for that, it's inspirational. I am taking a Power Squadron course this fall to learn navigation, chart reading, etc. so I will be prepared to go further out, perhaps among the Gulf Islands off Vancouver Island. I have some friends who do that in a 12 foot Pelican! I have a DS1 too, and I am concerned about the open cuddy non-self-rescuing aspect of the design. The water in the strait is cold!
MrPlywood

Postby jeadstx » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:39 am

Thanks for the article Marshhawk, it was enjoyable reading. I'm hoping to sail the Texas 200 with my DS2 next June, it's 5 days -200 miles of sailing/camping. I'm glad you included info on some of your preparations, that was helpful to me.

Just before you posted this, I was reading in "Small Craft Advisor" an account of someone sailing Lake Champlain in a DS1, also an interesting article.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby SaltLakeSailer » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:12 pm

Nice writing on an adventure I would like to undertake someday; perhaps in the Casco Bay region where my family lives (I'm in Utah where the mountain lakes and desert are little solace for an ocean-lover like myself.)

Could you document with photos or words the rowing seat, oar lock and position, and oar length that's working for you? I keep two paddles on board to balance the task of motility without wind, but rowing when single-handed makes so much more sense. Incidentally, how did you paddle when alone? Didn't that take a lot of jumping back and forth?
SaltLakeSailer

Messing About in Daysailers

Postby Marshhawk » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:15 am

Hey, I made the COVER of Messing About in Boats magazine this month with my article about cruising Penobscot Bay in the awesome Daysailer! I love that magazine; MAIB and Small Craft Advisor are the only two magazines that print anything about dinghy cruising on a regular basis. That I know of.
Marshhawk

Postby Bob Damon » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:09 am

You should forward your article to Brooks Measures, the DSA Quarterly Editor for publication. Her email is dsa_editor@charter.net. We often do not get good cruising articles for the Quarterly. thanks, Bob Damon
Bob Damon
Class Measurer

Re: Messing About in Daysailers

Postby K.C. Walker » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:08 pm

Marshhawk wrote:Hey, I made the COVER of Messing About in Boats magazine

Marshawk, congratulations! It's been years since I've subscribe to Messing About in Boats, it's a great little publication. you've inspired me to resubscribe. I look forward to reading about the further adventures of Marsh Hawk!

KC
K.C. Walker

Return to Day Sailer I Only