Rigging for a spinnaker

Regarding the DS3 only. Note that the DS3 is not a class-legal Day Sailer.

Moderator: GreenLake

Rigging for a spinnaker

Postby Tbannon » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:37 pm

I am a DSIII owner who is contemplating adding a spinnaker to the boat...I need all hardware rigging and sails...I am looking for a good how to guide on how to rig a DS III...I read the rigging instructions on the forum but wanted to see if anyone had any tips for a DS III.

All and any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks

Tim
Tbannon

Postby Scott Mulford » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:05 pm

Scott Mulford

Postby GreenLake » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:36 pm

Tim,

Did you just read the rigging guide, or also older posts in the "repair and improvement", "rigging" or "sails" sections of this forum?

There's been quite a bit of discussion on rigging spinnakers, including on how to make a spinnaker pole for less.

I see that you are casting around for a used spinnaker. That should cut costs a bit.

With a DSIII you are not under class rules, because the hull isn't class legal, so you are more flexible. For example, you could get a used spinnaker from some other dinghy class as long as it's roughly the same size - but anything for a boat roughly the size of the DS might be in the ballpark. (Check the measurements in the "handbook" if in doubt).

Also, if you make your own pole, you might find that aluminum extrusion is much more expensive than some other materials. As a lark, I built a pole from bamboo, coated with a bit of epoxy and given a light spiral wrap of fiberglass. If you select a suitable diameter, so the ends approximate a 1" ID tube, you can use MarineTex to attach the usual end fittings. I'm in the second or third season with mine and not looking back.

Also, I would go slow on permanently rigging all the fittings. Start with the bare minimum and see what you like or don't like about the setup.

Good luck.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Re: Rigging for a spinnaker

Postby Tbannon » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:16 pm

After last summers post and hope to fly a spinnaker on my DS III we got the job done!

Thanks for the help.

Now i need help finding the sail and hardware to add a roller furling jib

I have a good pic to add to the gallery if i can get some guidance as well
Tbannon

Postby Breakin Wind » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:55 pm

Tbannon wrote:Now i need help finding the sail and hardware to add a roller furling jib

Is your preference togo with a "do it yourself" on a cheap (re: inexpensive) jib furler that will work with a hank on jib or would you rather spend some money and have something more professional looking and standard? I built a jib furler from PVC pipe and a couple round electric box covers for about $15-$20 and I am extremely happy with how well it works. But I don't race (weight concerns etc), and have not been all that concerned about maintaining the DaySailer class standards on my boat so the savings was more important to me, plus I like to tinker with my boat.

You can see the furler (barely) in this picture I posted a while back - about birds on my windex...
I guess I need to take some more pictures. Usually not a problem for me not to have a picture.
There are lots of instructions on the web for building them, just a question of which way you prefer to go.

Good luck - Scott
Breakin Wind

Postby Tbannon » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:20 pm

I think I would prefer to go with something more standard ?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Tbannon

Return to Day Sailer III Only