Hull Colors

Moderator: GreenLake

Hull Colors

Postby redrover » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:35 pm

Is there any information floating out there in regards to standard hull colors and maybe even corresponding deck/interior colors? Do certain colors only fall in certain years? The standard O'Day white is a given but I've also seen dark blue, light blue, dark green, light green (mint/seafoam), yellow and orange.

I am starting the search for a DSII and trying to figure out what might be original factory gel coat vs re-finish gel coat. Bonus points if you can give insight to that seafoam/mint color ... it'd make the sale go much smoother with the boss and woulds be easier convincing her.
If you're not wet ... you're not sailing hard enough
redrover

Re: Hull Colors

Postby TIM WEBB » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:50 pm

The Red Witch was originally The Orange Witch - the original paint shows through in places. You know, the ol' 70's earth tones and all ... ;-P
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby Alan » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:47 pm

Ha. Campbell's Cream of Tomato here, vintage 1980 (soupage 1980?) with cream-that-came-from-a-cow as the topside color. 1980s sailboat, 1950s plastic dinnerware. Melmac, if memory serves.

If I ever get a chance to try out the various paints I've bought in a serious way, I'll report back.
Alan

Postby redrover » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:12 pm

Alan wrote:Ha. Campbell's Cream of Tomato here, vintage 1980 (soupage 1980?) with cream-that-came-from-a-cow as the topside color. 1980s sailboat, 1950s plastic dinnerware. Melmac, if memory serves.

If I ever get a chance to try out the various paints I've bought in a serious way, I'll report back.

ahah love the color descriptions.
If you're not wet ... you're not sailing hard enough
redrover

Postby carl10579 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:29 am

Paint color codes or formulas would be great. I want to paint my DS 1 with the original gel-coat color so when it gets scratched the old color won't show through. Maybe I should polish out a patch of the cream top and beige hull and take the boat to the paint store for a match. Sherwin Williams sells an "Imron" type paint that I'm thinking of using.
carl10579

Postby talbot » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:37 am

This is new to me. I didn't even know SW made a marine paint.
Is Imron suitable as a bottom paint, or is it just topside? How does it compare to the polyurethanes that dominate the lines of Interlux, Pettit, Epiphanes, Awlgrip, and other marine companies?
talbot

Postby carl10579 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:32 am

My SW guy (automotive division) says it would perform like Imron or Deltron. I would try it for a top paint and a bottom paint but on a trailer or fresh water boat. I've seen a few lake boats painted in Imron, top and bottom that looked great for years. Anti-fouling paint on the bottom for the salt-life.

My DS-1 is a good candidate for a paint job and I would use the SW 2 part. But another DS-1 may be coming up for sale near me and I think it is an unmarred original and I would rather have a buffed gel-coat original than a beat up repaint even if it is filled and polished. The cost of bringing up the old boat might be pretty high with all the stuff it needs. I just want a real nice one for the pride of ownership thing. I've been sailing a DS-2 that I really enjoy but i think the DS-1 has several advantages that I like. And my DS-2 has had some serious fiberglass work done years ago giving it a slight bulge on the side of the hull. It doesn't seem to affect anything and it sails so nicely.
carl10579

Postby NonSequitur » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:16 am

Sea Foam - those were the keywords to find the right color! Thanks.
https://images.app.goo.gl/vBkfGhKSww8v3rwx9 - sea foam
http://www.totalboat.com/product/wet-edge/
NonSequitur

Postby Signalcharlie » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:19 pm

We never saw it unpainted but our Day Sailer came to my Father In Law in the Sea Foam Green color. He painted it light blue. When we sanded it we found the Sea Foam. Here it is sanded bu not compounded or waxed.

We like the Pettit Sea Foam Green color, put it on our Penobscot 14, more blue than the TotalBoat Sea Foam

https://youtu.be/6sFiplt1fQY
Kent and Skipper
1971 DS II #4624 "CYANE"
Small Boat Restoration blog http://smallboatrestoration.blogspot.com/p/o.html
Signalcharlie

Postby BlackPirate » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:42 am

Just love those shades of color, I can't help to comment :)
BlackPirate

Return to History