Shakedown cruise report

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: Shakedown cruise report

Postby GreenLake » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:32 pm

I've rowed someone's DSII that was fitted with oarlocks but with oars sized for in-cockpit storage rather than optimal length for the purpose. It was a bit better than paddling, but not day and night. Boat was fully loaded, but even so, I think the DS isn't really ideal for human power. Friends with lighter dinghies that are more easily driven (but otherwise similar in size) are clearly doing well paddling them.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:35 pm

Oars will make it easier to control for a single person, and with patience, you should be able to cover medium distances, but unless you really optimize that setup, I wouldn't rely on that to try to make a return all the way home if calm should befall you at the far end of a daysail, and maybe not even then. But definitely fine to get in and out of marinas.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby carl10579 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:46 am

Love your story. Would make a great short film (staring --- Benny Hill)?

Have you figured out why your centerboard got stuck?

As for the mast crutch here is what I did and I should post a picture. I bolted 2 short (2 1/2") pieces of aluminum angle stock (from home depot) to a 2X4 and spaced them to align on top of the rudder pintels on the stern. I also drilled them so an aluminum rod would thread through both from the top and lock the 2X4 vertically in place. I have the upper part of the rod bent 90 deg to make a handle. The mast sits on the top of the 2X4 and is held in place with the same aluminum angle stock screwed to the sides of the 2X4 crutch. This makes a nice saddle of about 4". I padded it up with 3/4" foam pipe insulation and cable ties. It won't bounce off, is very secure and pull out the rod and it comes right off.

Another thing I've done is to mount a fold-able stainless step to the stern down low near the center-line. It is the kind of step that you'd see on a large truck for accessing the engine. I found it on ebay, cheap. It is very handy for climbing in and out of the boat when on the trailer.

Also, I have a set of sails from a DS 1 that are still usable, you can have them. They have some rust stains on them and may be cleanable.

Have fun!

Carl
carl10579

Postby fatjackdurham » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:20 am

carl10579 wrote:Love your story. Would make a great short film (staring --- Benny Hill)?

Have you figured out why your centerboard got stuck?

As for the mast crutch here is what I did and I should post a picture.

Another thing I've done is to mount a fold-able stainless step to the stern down low near the center-line.

Also, I have a set of sails from a DS 1 that are still usable, you can have them. They have some rust stains on them and may be cleanable.

Carl

Thanks. I think either the strap attaching the wire was stuck or there was some excess paint build up. Dunno. I'll try to go sailing this weekend see if the "crack" I heard equals leakage.

I made a mast crutch with a piece of PT decking, eyebolts and cap bolts. There is a picture in another post.

I saw a post of a fold down swim ladder... It's on my list.

I just bought a mainsail from Intensity, but thanks.
fatjackdurham

Postby Cole » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:01 pm

Hi, I know this might seem a little late to reply but I am recently new to daysailing and this forum so I thought I would share my input about your great story. I'll give a little background about my first experiences with daysailing.
I bought my boat around mid august, it was my first boat purchase, even though I have been sailing for about 5 years and I am only 14. It is a 1971 O'day Daysailer, I got an amazingly cheap price on it and it needed little work. so after getting everything into working order for about a week my grandfather and I decided to go out. This was going to be his first time on a sailboat and my first time on a Daysailer. I didn't have an outboard motor on the boat at the time so once everything was set up and the boat was tied to the dock and facing into the wind I raised the sails. I untie the bowline from the dock while my grandfather holds on to the bulkhead in the back of the boat, but then he lets go unannounced and faced with steering the boat. It all happens too quick, he tries to steer which leads to him getting stuck in awkward position and we end up stuck on an under water log. A helpful fisherman pushes us of and everything seems ok. We sail across Moriches Bay to Gull island, and stop to eat lunch. I pull up the centerboard, throw the anchor out and drop the sails. we get ready to leave and the centerboard is stuck. we yank as hard as we can but nothing happens. I didn't think to swim under the boat to pull it down manually, but later i would find out that not even that would work. So we struggle to return to the ramp without a center board. We eventually made it back having to throw a long dock line to another fisherman to pull us in, but we made it.

The next day I was determined to find out the problem. I guessed that because the boat is so old the center board was warped and got jammed inside the trunk. what I decided to do was get a cable stopper from the hardware store so that the centerboard wouldn't be able to be pulled up all the way. If you are still having that problem with lowering the centerboard I suggest you try the cable stop. I will add pictures of how it works.
Cole

Postby Cole » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:21 pm

Photos of center board cable stopper.

Photo on 9-17-18 at 6.14 PM #2.jpg
Center board pulled half way down(on trailer)
Photo on 9-17-18 at 6.14 PM #2.jpg (163.25 KiB) Viewed 5800 times
Attachments
Photo on 9-17-18 at 6.15 PM.jpg
Center board pulled up.
Photo on 9-17-18 at 6.15 PM.jpg (128.54 KiB) Viewed 5800 times
Cole

Postby shannonwebb » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:16 am

Thanks for the report!

At least you had your drain plugs in - which is more than this idiot can say for himself!
shannonwebb

Previous

Return to Day Sailer II Only