Old Yeller

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: Old Yeller

Postby GreenLake » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:22 am

Not in concentrations sufficient to dissolve epoxy :)
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby baggywrinkle » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:51 am

Now I'm fiddling with the centerboard. Prefer to get it right while easy, before relaunching. I have been eavesdropping at the DS2 CB woes support group threads. I'm thankful mine is DS 1 style. No running rigging inside the trunk. The handle is short, and assisted with tackle. Rudy said the handle length looks to be about where the originals usually break. The CB is oversize. Enlarged original, or different altogether. It is shaped for performance. Oversize means when board is up, two inches protrude, parallel to waterline. I thought I'd perform a partial board-ectomy. ie cutting it back to original size for care free beaching. Haven't decided yet. Beaching not a high priority, and leaving it as is would be one less chore at this point. The fish wont report me if I leave it oversize. The Mermaids of course will demand hush money. They always do.

My only concern is the trunk/pin are not meant to support the boat's weight. So I'd better not put it on the ground.

The square hole is almost 1/8 oversize, but does not seen worn. Nor does the square pin seem worn. Tough plastic shims apparently are making it a snug fit so neither are wearing/rounding. The square hole may not be a bronze fitting, as Saint Rudy said they are. That may explain it being oversize/not original. I need to take a closer look at that. Maybe it is just wood, as the board seems to be. The bottom end (down) is filled with lead shot in resin, and shaped straight across, rather than curved to match the trunk's aft end. I trimmed it to a curve matching trunk, but still the two inches protrude when in up position.

Finally I have some more free time coming up for boat, and now they are advertising rain showers next few days. Not complaining, mind you.
baggywrinkle

Postby GreenLake » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:16 pm

As long as there's no play, you're fine on the handle + shims.

About the board being oversize: the DS board is underdimensioned; enjoy what you have. (I assume the protruding part is parallel across the entire length?). Definitely not worth mucking with unless you must beach (and even then, it would only matter if the boat has to come fully onto the beach).

Something to check for is whether it's really wider than the trunk is tall or whether the hole is mis-positioned (e.g. using a board not originally for that boat). In the latter case, you could fix it w/o cutting apart the board, but moving the hole isn't easy surgery.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby baggywrinkle » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:15 am

GreenLake wrote:As long as there's no play, you're fine on the handle + shims.

About the board being oversize: the DS board is underdimensioned; enjoy what you have. (I assume the protruding part is parallel across the entire length?). Definitely not worth mucking with unless you must beach (and even then, it would only matter if the boat has to come fully onto the beach).

Something to check for is whether it's really wider than the trunk is tall or whether the hole is mis-positioned (e.g. using a board not originally for that boat). In the latter case, you could fix it w/o cutting apart the board, but moving the hole isn't easy surgery.

Thanks Greenlake !

Yep. I was about to report today's discovery(s)...

a) The protruding portion is far from parallel to the trunk. It protrudes 1 1/2 " below the hull at the forward end, and 3 1/2 " at the after end. It won't go any higher into the trunk. I think the reason is it is too fat along the middle, being a proper foil shape. It jams at the slightest attempt to force it up higher. It is not touching the after end of the trunk, and the trailing edge is way too thin to jam.

b) Not only that, there is about 3 1/2" inches of empty trunk above the length of the board in that 'up', jammed, and not parallel position. It is a rectangular board, not one of those other shapes whose name escapes me. Poly something, I think.

c) I must grind off the fat so the board cannot jam. Then if the after end goes up far enough, it should protrude only at the forward end.

It would fit OK if I relocated the hole. However since you mentioned they are underdimensioned.....Well then, I just might swap the hole surgery chore for the chore of adding some area to the board where it does not meet the trunk top. I could live with the protrusion and a bigger board. On the other hand I'm about ready to merely grind off the fat so it doesn't jam, and get back on the water sooner. I can always mess with it next year.
baggywrinkle

Postby baggywrinkle » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:41 pm

Wrong again ! I think the CB is actually kinda undersized.

I had assumed CB was oversize because it was protruding. In a rare moment of genius, I decided to get scientific and actually measure something. I got out my trusty old folding ruler. The CB is 12" wide. The length is OK. It fills the trunk except for about 1/2 " at the after end of the trunk. Yes, the length was not measured after that crushing 12" width discovery was made.

That aforementioned empty space in the trunk above the CB has me thinking it should be wider than 12". Before I go looking, does anyone know offhand the usual width of a standard DS CB? The internal trunk height is about 13-14" measured from bottom, flush across the opening.

While I was grinding of the excess thickness I avoided dwelling on my corrupting the board's nice foil shape. Instead, I looked forward to how easy it will be to raise the board all the way, and to sailing.

Then it occurred to me that potential disaster at sea may have been averted. Sinking, even. I realized the tight jamming of the board in the trunk was due to the over-thick board spreading the trunk walls apart. Hhmmm...sailors and their boats now and then encounter submerged objects of varying mass. What if a hefty one comes along, and forces the fat CB further up in the trunk...?

Extricating such a fully wedged CB could be a major PITA. Might require haul out. Or mash on it with a dowel via a new hole made in top of trunk? Ouch. On the other hand, what if the submerged object convinces the fat CB to fracture the trunk? Saving the CB might then quickly become relatively moot, what with an inaccessible major leak at sea and all. The latter realization really got my attention as I had been mainly motivated by things like ease of trailering, and of re-sale value.

I'm thinking of naming it Mellow, since it is all yellow. Or ......?

Mellow Yellow by Donovan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb3WpOJvsug
Last edited by baggywrinkle on Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
baggywrinkle

Postby TIM WEBB » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:08 am

Quite rightly!

- I like the way you think ... ;-P
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby baggywrinkle » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:15 am

Thanks Tim !!

Holy Moly !

Yep the slimmer CB operates just fine. The forward end still protrudes as anticipated. I'd not wanna take guests out there with an avoidable hazard of of pin/trunk damage/disaster if/when that submerged something slams into it. So it must be trimmed, for safety's sake. May as well get it right while I can. Plus I can add some area to the trailing edge while it is on the operating table. Fill up that empty space in the trunk. Easier than relocating the hole, I think. It needs to be wider anyway.

While I'm at it, I could also add some area to the leading edge. Protruding again, but now sacrificial. Like an eggshell. The Fabled, The Coveted... The 'Big Board'..... There are those Wednesday night races to consider, after all. I just might have to do it
baggywrinkle

Postby baggywrinkle » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:42 am

Gentlemen,

Another thread has been started, requesting advice on optimizing the CB. I thought the CB question might be more productive in a different area.

Here 'tis

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5741&p=32917#p32917
baggywrinkle

**************************** News Bulletin *****************

Postby baggywrinkle » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:29 am

Big story.....Developing......CBS, ABC, NBC, and DS reporters in mob scene at Soggy Bottoms Boatyard !!

Today I met and spoke with the crewman who sailed and raced with a prior owner. Not the previous owner, but 3, maybe 4 owners back in history. Previous owner (seller) told me where to find this prior owner #3 or 4.

Where was I,,,,,oh....Crewman said that prior owner (they work together, and prior owner was away on an errand) is the guy that added the white part (custom cockpit/seating, bulkhead and companionway). He also built that lovely CB, and built the (now missing) rudder just as nicely foiled as well. These guys are craftsmen.....Dont ever tell them what happened to that beautiful CB.

So tomorrow, or as soon as I find time, I will go back and talk to the craftsman who customized the mysterious yellow sloop. "Surely it is a DS", asserted the crewman. Maybe, I reckon, a DS 1, what with that CB handle type and all.

Stay Tuned
baggywrinkle

Semper Fi

Postby baggywrinkle » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:58 pm

(Ooops, this below was erroneously posted in the 'Centerboard optimization...' thread....I meant to put it here...sorry!)

Old Yeller is a U. S. Marine Corps vessel (retired). Beginning in the fifties, she served at U. S. Marine Corps Air Station Kaneohe Bay, Oahu, Hawaii (MCAS Kaneohe Bay) . I reckon this means she is a DS1. She was one of a fleet of Daysailers, used for recreation. Good thing she wasn't there earlier, say Dec 7 1941. That place got strafed, then bombed.

Today I met the guy that modified her. He got her from the guy that picked her up when she retired from the Corps, after the USMC Aviators enjoyed her for decades. No wonder she was tired. To stiffen her, he added the white cockpit "boxes", and the cuddy bulkhead which are all made of foam covered with Knytex Biaxial FG. It worked well.

He also faired the bottom and topsides with microballoons in epoxy resin, for more stiffening, and for perking up her tired soft and saggy old curves. No wonder she feels solid underfoot in the cockpit. I asked if he made a double layered cockpit sole with foam and glass. Nope. Just the original bottom, with fairing added. He said before stiffening she sailed like a floppy wet sponge. Also added a stiffer mast. Performance after stiffening is like night vs day, we are told. Fairing was done by handsanding with longboards. A pro job, he did. Good to know. No wonder she looks so good.

I'm in love.
Attachments
Cockpit and  Lounge area.jpg
Cockpit and Lounge area.jpg (75.96 KiB) Viewed 12006 times
baggywrinkle

Postby baggywrinkle » Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:37 am

Wow, it's been years since my last post here.!

Life intervened. Getting back to work on 'Mellow' now.
baggywrinkle

Postby GreenLake » Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:09 pm

I'll move this thread to the "Miscellaneous" section, because that is where we like to keep discussions related to boats that aren't "true" DaySailers. The main reason for that is clarity. It's easier for people new to the DS and new to the forum if the DS1 only and DSII only sections really are only about those boats.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby baggywrinkle » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:27 pm

Thanks for heads up !
baggywrinkle

Postby GreenLake » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:34 pm

Glad you spotted this and I may now remove the "shadow" link in the old place. Looking forward to getting some updates on your project.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous