Another new Day Sailor owner with questions

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Another new Day Sailor owner with questions

Postby Relentless » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:22 pm

Right before Christmas I bought the 1969 boat, class # 3508 Hull #19081
I have had several boat over the years but hadn’t owned a boat or sailed in about 10 years. So I am excited to get back into sailing!!!
This is such a great forum and have learned so much reading all the posts
I live in Ft Woth Tx. I think the boat was on Lake Benbrook.
The kid I bought it from was planning to fix it up so he took off all the hardware and wood for coamings, so I might need some help rigging and installing everything after I do some fixing up and re painting.
The wood reinforcement on the transom where the gudgeons mount is rotten along with the wood reinforcing for the coamings.
After reading for hours on end most of my questions have been answered except one thing for now:

On the floor of the boat between the mast step there are 2 brackets mounted to the support beam with rusted bolts going thru them. There is one on either side of mast step. What are these for?
Relentless

Re: Another new Day Sailor owner with questions

Postby GreenLake » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:55 pm

Welcome to the forum!

A '69 DS1 would still be the single hull with wooden floors. Normally, these extend into the cuddy and would sit flush with the fiberglass channel that supports the mast step.

I can't quite picture the configurations for the additional "rusty brackets" that you mention. The way I see it, there's basically two things that additional hardware in that location could be intended for. If the mast is split, something is needed to hold down the mast support, otherwise it can get dislodged when unstepping the upper part of the mast above deck. If that's not an issue, then perhaps something was secured there at one point. Many people store their batteries there, because it's the lowest point in the boat and closest to the fore/aft balance point.

If neither of these seem to fit, depending on whether the rust indicates disuse, you may simply try to live without them.

Incidentally, I removed my wooden floors for refinishing a few years ago (and life took over with them only nearly completed). I've decided that I can live fine without them, especially when sailing in light airs... except I like to have some way to keep things out of the bilge in the cuddy. My "temporary" solution is a platform across the cuddy - a wide piece of fiberboard with angled "feet" to rest against the hull on either side. Keeps the usual amount of gear raised a bit where splashed-in water can't get to it.

If yours no longer has floorboards, something like that may work.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Relentless » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:00 am

I figured out what the bracket was for between the mast step and the centerboard, it was for hiking straps.
Does anyone use them? Can you hike out comfortably?
Relentless

Postby GreenLake » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:05 pm

Yes, many people use hiking straps. I don't, but that's a reflection of the generally lighter winds I sail in. In the prevailing condiitons, just sitting on the side deck is usually enough to keep the boat level. I manage to sit somewhat comfortably despite the wooden coamings. Other people rig a bit of cushion on the side deck, yet others cut away the coamings until they are flush with the decks. (You don't want to remove them fully as they add needed structural support).

Nothing is going to make the DS as comfortable to hike as some later generation dinghies that are designed for that, but if a PO felt they were useful, you might want to rig them.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby tomodda » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:31 pm

Relentless:

Agreeing with Greenlake here. Walk before you start running. Go sailing, see how you do sitting out on the rail. Luff or reef if you feel that the main is overbearing (too much sail for the wind conditions). If you feel that you have too luff too much and you really want to squeeze some more performance out of your boat (i.e you are racing), then get hiking straps and have at it. But for ordinary cruising/daysailing? Not needed. Unless you really want to give your back and belly muscles a workout :).
tomodda

Postby jalmeida51 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:34 pm

I just removed my hiking straps. Never used them, the straps made the cockpit harder to move around. I reef early and sit on the rail. I have 2 sets of reefing points. The coaming is cut down even to the side deck. With coaming flush it is more comfortable than sitting on the seats. I don't race just a daysailer. Happy Sailing, John
jalmeida51

Postby Bob Hunkins » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:02 pm

Hi "Relentless"
There's a couple of very knowledgable Day Sailers near you - Andy Katz and Manuel LeBlanc. Sendme a note at rdhunkins@comcast.net and I'll pass on their contact info.
Bob Hunkins
#11750, "Surprise"
San Leon, Texas
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Return to Day Sailer I Only